mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I9 Cross Country or Fulcrum Red Metal Zero XRP or ???

Anybody have any ideas or opinions on the above? I'm using DT Swiss Tricons 1550s now. Broke a couple of spokes off the front wheel and they need to be repaired. Don't know how long that is going to take since I'm in asia. I can't afford to be without wheels so I'm thinking of buying another wheelset.

I ride a 2011 Pivot Mach 4 with new XTR. Mostly do XC, lots of dusty roads with pot holes. I run tubeless and will not go back to tubes. The tricons and Fulcrums are UST ready. I'm not sure if the I9s are?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Ride safe!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    How about the red metal 1 xl? UST and 1620 grams for less than the zeros?
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hmm, I would probably wish I spent the money to get the Zeros if I got the Red Metal One.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene46 View Post
    Anybody have any ideas or opinions on the above? I'm using DT Swiss Tricons 1550s now. Broke a couple of spokes off the front wheel and they need to be repaired. Don't know how long that is going to take since I'm in asia. I can't afford to be without wheels so I'm thinking of buying another wheelset.

I ride a 2011 Pivot Mach 4 with new XTR. Mostly do XC, lots of dusty roads with pot holes. I run tubeless and will not go back to tubes. The tricons and Fulcrums are UST ready. I'm not sure if the I9s are?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Ride safe!
    Get a custom built wheel set with standard components. Then it can be serviced quickly and easily.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    +1 for a custom wheelset. It can be easily 100g lighter than the tricons without spending as much as with some of the fancy factory wheels. Plus you can substitute stock spokes and nipples if there are breakages. If your builder is decent enough then the spokes will be able to be reused for another build if you destroy the first rim.

I would choose a stans rim. I've been running these tubeless with just the yellow tape for almost 5 years. I've yet to have any reliability issues with this method of tubeless, even though its not UST. The Schwalbe Snakeskin and Double Defense tyres have been great in medium rocky terrain. Other brands will have similar types of protected tyres which will be a bit lighter than genuine UST.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Only problem is Stans has no dealer in Singapore. Which means I have to order internationally. And I'm clueless when it comes to custom rims. Any good builders or build ideas you can recommend? It seems like custom will be no where as expensive as the factory wheelsets and just as light, perhaps more so.