Barely in control

Cool-blue Rhythm i25 XC rim decision - al or carbon 27.5

Time for a new wheelset for the XC bike. All opinions welcome.

Choices:

Stans Arch MK3, 425g, $125/pr
    DT XR 391, 415g, $144/pr plus $16 in nipple savings = $128/pr
    WTB KOM i25, 466g, $176/pr
    Newmen Evolution SL X.A. 25 Disc, 375g, $184/pr
    Aliexpress carbon 12k, 360g, $238/pr

Stans are the cheapest, but also the most booooooooringest.

WTB are the heaviest and most expensive aluminum rim. Unless I'm missing something, I don't even know if this company even tried making a competitive product.

DT are pretty light and come with squorx nipples so that saves me $16 in nipples. I also built a set with the XM 401 a while back and it went together very nicely.

Newmen Evolution look interesting. 375g is pretty light, and it is German Engineering (TM).

I have a weak spot for 12k carbon rims, plus they aren't that expensive. But is the 100g savings worth the extra cost and risk of carbon asplosion? I can also order these made for internal nipples so that's kinda cool.
    Last edited by Schulze; 03-11-2018 at 07:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    WTB's rims aren't targeted towards weight watching XC riders, they're general purpuse trail rims and the weight reflects that. I run the KOM i23 on the front wheel of my trail bike, works well for that, but doesn't hold up as a rear. I should note that I'm pretty abusive on rims and nothing under 450g or so in a 26" size will last for long unless it's carbon.

Stans Arch Mk3 is well, you get what you pay for is the nicest way I can put it. By far the crappiest QC on any rim I've seen in a long time, they're wobbly out of the box and I've seen a lot of them with large wobble or even an inward bend at the seam. The wheels start with uneven tension and it only gets worse. They're on my ban list along with Avid brakes and Crank Bros. products.

DT is IMO the way to go out of the aluminum rims. They set the standard for out of box straightness, every single one I've seen is dead straight and they build up easily with even spoke tension. Also much stronger than Stans when you compare rims of similar weight, DT and Spank are the only rims that I have a hard time breaking. I've done it, but I ended up in the hospital so it's not something I plan on repeating anytime soon.

Barely in control
    I've never built a Stans rim because there was always a better option at the purchase time so that info is good to know. It's a shame about the qc because I like their low profile designs.

The WTB ST i25 is something I've run a while on a 26er bike. It's a quality rim with eyelets which I love, but at 540 grams is kinda overkill. If you're going to name your rim KOM, I'm going to assume you're going after the weight weenie crowd!

So I guess it's down to DT and carbon.

I could do this wheelset for rough terrain with 32h XTR hubs, aerolite spokes, DT 391 rims, and Morsa 2.3 tires. Then build a ww set on 28h DT 240 hubs, aerolite spokes, carbon rims, and Mezcals. I already have the hubs.

Barely in control
    Added Newmen Evolution SL X.A. 25 Disc. Not a bad looking rim for 375g.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I've never built a Stans rim because there was always a better option at the purchase time so that info is good to know. It's a shame about the qc because I like their low profile designs.
    I hate their low profile design, the rims just don't have enough vertical strength & stiffness because of the low profile, not surprisingly I've flat spotted their entire product lineup. Stiffness increases with the cube of the depth, increase depth by 25% and stiffness will nearly double. Stan's rims are 16mm in depth, most other rims are in the 20-24mm range, you do the math. There's a reason I flat spotted them so easily.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    CarbonFan rims come true and are a very easy build. 30mm inner T800 are 345 + or - 15g and you can request something at the lower end of the range. XR1 1 2.2 Teams are excellent at lower pressures on this size.
    https://www.carbonfan.com/t800-tubel...28mm-33mm-35mm
    Asyms are 29 inner at 360g.
    https://www.carbonfan.com/t800-tubel...idth-27mm-30mm
    Something skinnier would be lighter.

Barely in control
    Carbonfan doesn't make an i25 rim that I want.

Barely in control
    For this build, I went with the XR 391 because the Newmen didn't come in 32 hole. I'm concerned that the red stickers on the DT rim will clash with the yellow highlights on my frame. I see that yellow is available for the EX 471 but not for this one so far.