mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I need some advice on wheel upgrades

I have been riding consistently for a couple years now and recently upgraded to a GT Force 2.0 (2013). I have been loving the bike but I was wanting to look at upgrading the wheels that came standard with the bike. Allthough I have been riding alot and recently started doing a few XC/Enduro comps I still have very little mechanical knowledge(especially when it comes to wheels).
    Usually I would go to my regular LBS but they have let me down a few times lately and I am considering buying some new wheels off the net (much cheeper).
    I have been looking at the Mavic Crossmax ST Wheelset as it seems to tick most of the boxes but I could do with any advice as to what I should look for when upgrading and to ensure I am getting wheels compatible with my GT Force 2.0.
    As far as budget goes I can spend up to $800 U.S but would prefer around $600. The tyres I have been using are 2.25.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey Dave,

That's a great choice for a wheel upgrade and will definitely work with you Force. The ST is compatable with all frame and fork systems trough the use of adapters, so if you ever decide to switch forks or buy a new bike you can bring those wheels right along with you. Hope that info helps.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No experience personally with the crossmax, but at that price point, you could have some decent wheels custom built (hope or white industry hubs, Stan's rims, wheelsmith butted spokes)...I've had good luck with the Universalcycles wheelbuilder and they have a nice online tool for evaluating the choices.
    whatever...