mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I need 4 sets of tires

My son and four of his cousins (10-12 year olds) are getting into mountain biking and I'm excited to be their role model (God help them!). So I want them to have decent tires because I know that will help their confidence.
    I was hoping to get a good deal on Hutchinson Cougars, but that deal is over, so I'm looking at Forte Tsali 26x2.2.
    They're reasonably priced, decent weight and look to have decent volume with just enough knobbiness to punch through a thin layer of sand.

They will be on fairly mellow Michigan dry, sandy hardpack trails (DTE, Island Lake, maybe sections of Brighton) and I think the tires will do fine, but I wanted some input from the MTBR folks.

I could do Tsali rear with Pisgah 2 front. However, my personal preference for our terrain is short knob tires which emphasize contact patch and smooth transitions rather than tall, aggressive knobs which often feel more vague during transition until the side knobs lock in. I find large knob tires a bit skittery on hardpack-- you have to really commit to them-and accept/control some sliding-or get dumped.

I have 30 years mountain biking experience, am a very smooth rider (rode Pythons all over the US for 20 years!), so I fear my prejudice could lead to the wrong choice.

A lot of folks around here run less aggressive tires, but I haven't ridden many new tires, so what do you guys think?

Many thanks,
    Bob

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I would give these a go. Inexpensive, and work well. Shipping is free for the number you are ordering.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...d/rp-prod83180

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I rode pythons as well for a long time. My favorite tread now is the schwalbe Racing Ralph. Low rolling resistance and very predictable cornering. They’re pricey, but you can find good deals on them if you look around. Also, easier to find deals on 26” tires now with 29 and 650b takIng over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk