mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I know the spoke length but not the ERD

The drive side is 3.0mm X 252mm

The non-drive side is 3.0mm X 254mm

My wheel is 3x 24 spokes

I'm planning to replace my rear hub with Circus Monkey HDW3 or HDW2. Currently using crappy Shimano FH-RM-40 . I think I need new spokes too. But i'm not sure how long I need. Here an image of the HDW3 hub measurements If someone can help me calculate the length that would be nice.

Thanks

A wheelist
    That's a very original question. That would be quite a calculation for someone to do and you're willing to trust their answer? If so, you have more nerve than I have. The safe way is to measure your own ERD and even the hub dimensions.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    That's a very original question. That would be quite a calculation for someone to do and you're willing to trust their answer? If so, you have more nerve than I have. The safe way is to measure your own ERD and even the hub dimensions.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry, the link didn't work for the hub measurement. Here's the new hub measurement http://www.circusbike.com/upload/news/71.jpg and PCD http://www.circusbike.com/upload/news/70.jpg can you tell me the Hub Center to Flange Center from that image? Because i'm not sure what i'm looking at.

I will try to find out the ERD for my rim.

Thanks

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by enyceckk101 View Post
    can you tell me the Hub Center to Flange Center from that image?
    I don't ever trust any measurements unless I take them myself.

I will try to find out the ERD for my rim.
    And for me that would also be from the same source as above.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

transmitter~receiver
    are you planning to build this wheel yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    are you planning to build this wheel yourself?
    Yes. But after all the research, I think i'm getting a new rim that has erd label on it (ofc measure again just double check). Then calculate the spoke length. Might get an Alex rim with 32 spokes hole and doing 3x pattern. With a HDW2 hub.

Thanks for the help btw

mtbr member
    Buy this, read it, take your own measurements and build your own wheel.

Manufacturer ERDs are often not quite right.

mtbr member
    Aloha eny,

Interesting question though I can see your motivation of not wanting to get any more parts then you need to.

I guess you can do an internet search for the rim you use. Which rim by the way, maybe someone already knows this. I guess you posting the question here technically constitutes "internet search" of some sort.

So I am attaching a .pdf file with a "how to" on my method for calculating ERD. It requires some tools but not much cost. The idea to me is because I live so far away from most "shops", I want to be sure of the rim's ERD before I order spokes. Even if it's a big name manufacturer, verifying is useful.

ERD How To.pdf

Then, you can go on to this link and calculate the spoke lengths you'll need:

Spocalc, by Damon Rinard. A free Excel spoke length calculator.

Or, there are a number of "online" spoke calculators around.

I hope this helps, good luck with that. Chime back in and let us know how it went, what your (learning) experiences are.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Aloha eny,

Interesting question though I can see your motivation of not wanting to get any more parts then you need to.

I guess you can do an internet search for the rim you use. Which rim by the way, maybe someone already knows this. I guess you posting the question here technically constitutes "internet search" of some sort.

So I am attaching a .pdf file with a "how to" on my method for calculating ERD. It requires some tools but not much cost. The idea to me is because I live so far away from most "shops", I want to be sure of the rim's ERD before I order spokes. Even if it's a big name manufacturer, verifying is useful.

ERD How To.pdf

Then, you can go on to this link and calculate the spoke lengths you'll need:

Spocalc, by Damon Rinard. A free Excel spoke length calculator.

Or, there are a number of "online" spoke calculators around.

I hope this helps, good luck with that. Chime back in and let us know how it went, what your (learning) experiences are.

Great info! Thanks.