mtbr member

I give in..another tubeless question..

Ok, I give in an ready to try tubeless. However, I'm using 2014 RF Turbine wheels that have the RF tape taped inside.

Is this okay with RF tape rim taped inside, or should I pull it off and just run new Gorilla Tape inside?

Also, do I need to use the rimstrip/presta valve combo..or can I just skip that and just get one of those Stan's RCV tubeless presta valves?

Can I set the tubeless tire (I'm getting the Maxxis HR2 DC EXO TR) with a CO2 cartridge?

ALSO: I don't have a compressor, but thinking if I run into problems I was gonna get one of the presta/shrader valve adaptors then run over to the gas station and pump up the tires over there to set? (Is this crazy to do..?) - Obviosly if I can set it with my floor pump this is moot.

ehh..think that are all my questions for now..
    Last edited by taprackbang; 09-10-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Problem with trying to fill at gas stations is you often can't get enough air in there fast enough, and if you could, you wouldn't need an air compressor in the first place. The restriction of the presta valve (and then the adapter on top of it) is a big issue and limits how much air you can get in there. I've noticed that less and less gas stations can actually deliver any air, they all cut off at preset PSIs, but what you really need is a high volume floor pump that can pump with the presta core removed.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    That RF tape should be fine. No idea if you'll get lucky but 90% of the time, I can set up Maxxis tires tubeless with floor pump. That being said, get yourself a cheap compressor if you can. Here is one from Harbor Freight https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...sor-60637.html
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'd remove that old RF tape and redo it with Gorilla tape, or whatever other rim tape you wish to use. Then get those Stans presta valves.

Save yourself the frustration of installing tubeless (for the first time) by starting from a clean slate. Remove old tape, clean rim surfaces, lay fresh rim tape, pierce tubeless presta valve through a pinhole in the tape.

If u can't get the tires up with a floor pump, you can try the gas station. I had to resort to that with my first tubeless installation. If the station pump has a "flat tire" setting, use that. Remove the core of the presta valve to increase air flow capacity, screw on the schrader valve adaptor, and it will work.

Good luck, you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Copy, good stuff..thanks.

mtbr member
    Look up "diy tubeless inflator 2 liter bottle." It looks whack but I don't own a compressor and just use my 2L bottle when a floor pump won't do the job.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I had a pain of a time getting my maxxis tires mounted. I used gorilla tape, 1". Ended up having to pump up with a tube, deflate and take out the tube, leaving one bead set. I then soaped the other bead and pumped up with a floor pump. it sealed right up. I think the soap was the key for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jreed3 View Post
    I had a pain of a time getting my maxxis tires mounted. I used gorilla tape, 1". Ended up having to pump up with a tube, deflate and take out the tube, leaving one bead set. I then soaped the other bead and pumped up with a floor pump. it sealed right up. I think the soap was the key for me.
    This - all of my tubless setting ish was resolved with a little more soap. I'm sure some will disagree, but I have found that I can't every have enough soap.

mtbr member
    Wondering aloud whether the rims on my Diamondback El Oso Grande are likely to be usable in a tubeless setup ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    Wondering aloud whether the rims on my Diamondback El Oso Grande are likely to be usable in a tubeless setup ...
    If they are tubeless ready it should work..

mtbr member
    They are not marked as Tubeless Ready. I'm not certain who the manufacturer is for the rims.

mtbr member
    I personally have never had luck with the floor pump and getting beads to seat. About 6 year ago I bought a small pancake air compressor for 50ish bucks and its been the ticket. Prep the rim, get the tire on and hit it with 75 - 100 PSI and its painless.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you this is a good one and you can use a 20% off coupon on it. Check it out here

If you don't have a Harbor Freight I know Sears makes the same thing in the Craftsman Evol line of tools. Might not be the cheapest option but I've gotten my monies worth out of it .... along with all my friends.

mtbr member
    I have this compressor link from Menards that I use for brad nailing. Worked great for my tubeless project. $52.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    They are not marked as Tubeless Ready. I'm not certain who the manufacturer is for the rims.
    Take a look at the profile of the rim. Does it have flat, shelf areas just inside the bead hook area? Also are the bead hooks very tall or lower down and close to the shelf areas that I mentioned? If it has these two things, it is quite likely tubeless ready.

If the rim just concaves down towards its center, then no, it's not tubeless ready.

The reason behind this is that the shelfs and shorter bead heights keep the tire from wanting to deflect inwards towards the center of the rim, preventing burps. They essentially keep the tire from squirming on the rim.

Post a picture if you can.

mtbr member
    I'll snap a photo tonight. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Update (for those needing something to read): Just finished my tubeless setup yesterday and it was...a breeze.

Preface - I left the tires (Maxxis DC HRII's 2.3 27.5) to thaw out (it came tightly bound in the originally display packaging) for a few days in the garage. I read this somewhere and made sense..to let the bead open up and take shape.

The RF Turbines already had the rim tape installed, but I took it off and replaced it with Gorilla Tape (GT) as I had a big roll laying around, I bought it last year but for a home project.. Good thing, the RF rim tape was just loosely covering the spoke holes. It wasn't adhered to the rim at all. It was like a plastic wrap snug around the rim holes. (If you have the RF Turbines, remove it). I measured the GT the same width as the original RF rim tape. The GT sits right up to the wall of the tubeless wall hook)..GT is tacky/sticky goodness. Applying the GT around the wheel was really easy..also helped checking out one of the YT videos from GMBN)

I did a test run and put the tires on and used a tank compressor pump (have a Jensons AirBlast tubless pump). It worked well, but did not hear any "pops" as many have said and videos have shown. I searched around and people have said that this "popping" was not always audible. I checked the bead markers on the tire and they looked uniformly snug around the perimeter of each side. Repeated the same test twice (both with removable presta core valve on and off) and it was the same result..no "popping" sound, but the bead indicators were uniformly seen around the perimeter of the tire.

*I even used a regular floor pump and pumped it up to 50psi and got the same effect. The RF Turbines and Maxxis DC HR2's were a perfect combination in my case..lucked out?*

After reading many reviews about Stan's and Orange Seal (OS), I went with the OS Endurance as it seemed the least messy and had that applicator tube that I could connect directly to the valve. I got the 8oz supply as it said 3-4oz for 27.5/29ers - I went 4 oz for my 27.5 just to have some extra)

I re-pumped up the tires after injecting the OS, gave it the wheel shake and wobble and sat it on each side for 10 mins. I didn't get any leaking and hear and air escaping. I mounted it on the bike and took it for a ride and looks to be holding up.

Next day: The tire pressure is holding up (inflated to 25lbs, used to ride it at 30lbs with tubes), but haven't taken it for a real ride yet.

Verdict: I have been riding tubes for years and never planned on switching over. I didn't want to deal with all that hassle of taping the wheel, problems with the bead popping into place, etc. Also the weight loss gain is marginal. My previous tires were Nevegal Pro's weighing at 740g each. The tubeless ready HR2's are 845g each. After calculating the inner tubes and OS solution and new tires, the net weight loss was only .08lbs..no weight loss. The bike did seem more nimble in maneuvering around or maybe I thought it seemed that way..

I will have to update this post after I take it for a real ride..

mtbr member
    Finally got out for my first ride tubeless. I also switch from the Kenda Nevegals 2.35 to the Maxxis HR2's 2.3. I initially was riding the Nevegals but turns out I was riding them (tubes) with about 17 psi?! This was before I had a tire pressure gauge and was solely going off what the floor pump said (25 psi)..ha I have to say it was sluggish and alot of roll resistance. I assumed this was because of the tubes and the robust Nevegal tire. I was riding this way for about a year. Fast forward, after I switched to the tubeless Maxxis HR2.what a difference. Now, however, I also had the tires properly inflated (went with 26 psi rear and 25 psi front)..and I felt like I was riding like the wind. I couldn't believe how easy I was making my climbs and even in a higher gear than normal..alot of best times. Who knows..perhaps if my Nevegals were "properly" inflated they would've felt better? I think the tread pattern on the HRII's promote a quicker ride though. Anyway, going tubeless with the HRII's has been a world of difference and glad I did the change.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by taprackbang View Post
    Finally got out for my first ride tubeless. I also switch from the Kenda Nevegals 2.35 to the Maxxis HR2's 2.3. I initially was riding the Nevegals but turns out I was riding them (tubes) with about 17 psi?! This was before I had a tire pressure gauge and was solely going off what the floor pump said (25 psi)..ha I have to say it was sluggish and alot of roll resistance. I assumed this was because of the tubes and the robust Nevegal tire. I was riding this way for about a year. Fast forward, after I switched to the tubeless Maxxis HR2.what a difference. Now, however, I also had the tires properly inflated (went with 26 psi rear and 25 psi front)..and I felt like I was riding like the wind. I couldn't believe how easy I was making my climbs and even in a higher gear than normal..alot of best times. Who knows..perhaps if my Nevegals were "properly" inflated they would've felt better? I think the tread pattern on the HRII's promote a quicker ride though. Anyway, going tubeless with the HRII's has been a world of difference and glad I did the change.
    Nevegals were known to be very draggy tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.