bob
    mtbr member

I can't get my tires off and a few questions!

I recently put WTB Weirwolf 2.5 tires on my WTB laser beam wheels. The tires were a bit of a pain to get on. Today I tried taking off a tire to replace a tube and it aint comming off. I've use two different sets of plastic tire levers, soap and water, and abut an hour of time. It's not comming off. What can I do besides just cutting the tire off? I'm glad I discovered this problem in my garage and not out on the trail.

Why is this happening? My Tioga XC extremes came off no problem. Are WTB tires known to be difficult? Would this be an issue if I were using a different rim?

Bob

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    I recently put WTB Weirwolf 2.5 tires on my WTB laser beam wheels. The tires were a bit of a pain to get on. Today I tried taking off a tire to replace a tube and it aint comming off. I've use two different sets of plastic tire levers, soap and water, and abut an hour of time. It's not comming off. What can I do besides just cutting the tire off? I'm glad I discovered this problem in my garage and not out on the trail.

Why is this happening? My Tioga XC extremes came off no problem. Are WTB tires known to be difficult? Would this be an issue if I were using a different rim?

Bob
    Different rim/tire combinations are hard to get off. Try to unseat both sides of the tire so that one isn't sticking to the side of the rim. Then move both beads to one side, and pry off. I like the park tire levers myself. If you have two tire levers, try to get them both under the bead and pull up..

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bob

Bob
    Proper technique: http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp
    It talks about road tires but MTB tire work the same way.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

bob
    mtbr member

They're off!!!!

Well, I tried everything including all of the above advice to no avail. I had to cut the tires off which was a shame because I really liked them and they were new. In 15 years of riding and changing tires I've never seen anything like this tire/rim combo. Anyone have the problems with Wierwolfe's on other rims?

nab
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm using WTB laser beam rims too. They are quite hard to put on and take off tires. It's not the tires, it's the rims. I took like 15 mins to put on my tioga psychos on this morning. The rims prefer more stretchable tires, folding or softer compound.

But it's still a good rims apart from the tire issue. I abuse it a lot and it's still true. But i don't think you wanna use it in a race since you'll be wasting valuable time changning tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had 2.5 Weirwolf's and they are hard to get on and off. I have Bontrager rims. I use 3 tire irons to get them off. It's weird that WTB tires and rims would be a particularly bad combination. Maybe, it's a liabilty thing.

Jim

bob
    mtbr member

Wtb

Alright another Laser Beam user! They came OEM on my 01 GT 2.0 idrive and in three years I've had to true them once. I'm using them on my Heckler now and other than the recent Wierworlfe experience and the crappy GT/formula hubs I have no complaints.

I put my old Tioga XC extremes back on for now but I think I'm going to start over with new wheels and tires. I realy liked the portly Wierwolves but not with my rims. I might even go UST.