mtbr member
    Jun 2007

hutchinson python vs racing ralph 2008

hello,

I'm a racing ralph 2007 user, good tires. I'm an xc/marathor rider, I ride mostly in dry conditions, forest roads and trails.
    I don't like changing tires, so tire should be ok in every conditions (except snow ).
    Racing ralph was an average tire in wet conditions.
    I have heard a lot of very good opinions about hutchinson python tires which are used by many good marathon riders.
    I have also heard that racing ralph has been improved and 2008 edition is a great tire.

I don't know which tire should I take.
    I would like the tires to roll easily, have good grip in dry and wet conditions (mud). I'm aware that pythos and rr are not mud tires, but rr isn't bad in mud like for a dry tire.

Which tires should I buy? Thank you.

Expert Crasher
    I've used both the Python and 2008 RR - I would choose the RR hands down. Better performance in the mud (though neither was an epiphany) from the RR, better cornering grip. Probably negligible difference in rolling resistance.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member

Rr

i have not ridden the new RR, but judging by the tread, they have to be a better all round tire. pythons roll very fast on hardpack, but are not really a wet conditions tire at all.

some kind of hero...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse-
    hello,

I'm a racing ralph 2007 user, good tires. I'm an xc/marathor rider, I ride mostly in dry conditions, forest roads and trails.
    I don't like changing tires, so tire should be ok in every conditions (except snow ).
    Racing ralph was an average tire in wet conditions.
    I have heard a lot of very good opinions about hutchinson python tires which are used by many good marathon riders.
    I have also heard that racing ralph has been improved and 2008 edition is a great tire.

I don't know which tire should I take.
    I would like the tires to roll easily, have good grip in dry and wet conditions (mud). I'm aware that pythos and rr are not mud tires, but rr isn't bad in mud like for a dry tire.

Which tires should I buy? Thank you.
    I've used the original Python and the old Racing Ralph and I'd take the Schwalbe any time over the Python. With the larger and more aggressive tread pattern on the 2008 Ralph I would also choose it over the Python - although I've yet to try the 2008 version.

Assuming the price doesn't scare you off, it is pretty hard to go wrong with the Schwalbe! They make great tires

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING