mtbr member

hutchinson python gold 2.0

so whats the skinny on these?

supergo got em for $18 bucks. im on Irc Mythos II 2.1 kevlar folding tires now (another supergo deal), I like the mythos tires, but lots of people seem to like the python airlights too but nobody has talked about the gold editions, are they a lot heavier than mythos and airlights? not sure what the mythos weigh for comparison anyway. are they more volume than the mythos?

my other favorite tires used to be the bontrager revolt st2's but they dont make em no more (sniff sniff)

I ride mostly hardpack and some loose conditions but I dont like the loose stuff and tend to avoid it like the plague anyway. so i guess im a hardpack man, that tends to ride with 45 psi in the mythos'. yeah I know I succumbed to the higher psi plot I guess I just got used to riding with high psi from the bonty st2's and never turned back, I always keep the bike upright in turns which helps me keep from slidin' plus im in the 200 lb range (finesse clyde) so.........

Shiggy got any comments?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pythons Excellent for your Application

Quote Originally Posted by Williwoods
    so whats the skinny on these?

supergo got em for $18 bucks. im on Irc Mythos II 2.1 kevlar folding tires now (another supergo deal), I like the mythos tires, but lots of people seem to like the python airlights too but nobody has talked about the gold editions, are they a lot heavier than mythos and airlights? not sure what the mythos weigh for comparison anyway. are they more volume than the mythos?

my other favorite tires used to be the bontrager revolt st2's but they dont make em no more (sniff sniff)

I ride mostly hardpack and some loose conditions but I dont like the loose stuff and tend to avoid it like the plague anyway. so i guess im a hardpack man, that tends to ride with 45 psi in the mythos'. yeah I know I succumbed to the higher psi plot I guess I just got used to riding with high psi from the bonty st2's and never turned back, I always keep the bike upright in turns which helps me keep from slidin' plus im in the 200 lb range (finesse clyde) so.........

Shiggy got any comments?
    The Pythons are awesome for hardpack. Rolling resistance is very low and and grips great. And, they are light. And, cheap. I use run the Mythos. Nice tires. But, when it comes to hardpack, Pythons are great. I picked up some Pythons from Supergo last year for $18 also.

JLM
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The Pythons are fabulous tires if you ride predominately hardpack. I have ridden them off and on since 99 and have never had a problem with them (I do think they looked better with the bright yellow compound as opposed to the "gold" compound they now use). They are designed to be run with low pressure, so since you are a clyde you might not gain a whole lot of benefit from them. I have run them pretty low at times (low 30's and I believe even at 29 once) but I only weigh 135 lbs so I'm not carrying alot of excess heft around. Also they are not terrible in loose stuff once you get your pressure set and figure out how to sit on them in the loose stuff. We have LOTS of sand here in OK and I never had a problem with them being too squirmy in the sand. Also, they seem to work better if you flip them and run them opposite the suggested direction for some reason.

BVK
    Feb 2005
    Python Golds make good tubless tires, I have used them for everything for the last at least 2 years, better feel than Airlights when tubeless. I do not use any strips, never burped.