mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hutchinson Protect Air vs Stan's

I've got a set of new Hutchinson Barracuda MRC Medium UST 2.3's (wow that's a mouthful) on order. I've been running Conti Vertical Pro UST's on Mavic x819's and have been happy, but I wanted a beefier more agressive tire. I've been using Stan's with the Conti's with no problems. I remove the tire every 3 months, drain the Stan's, clean the rims and the beads and then put everything together with fresh Stan's. While reading up on the Barracudas here, I saw a few mentions of the Hutchinson Protect Air goop. Looks like it does not set up like the Stan's and need to be cleaned out and replaced regularly.

Does anyone have any thoughts on one over the other?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Has anyone used this Hutchinson Sealant? Any feedback?

Thanks!

LA CHÈVRE
    I have the Barracudas MRC Medium UST 2.3 and don't use any sealant with them. I use sealant with Hutchinson Tubeless Light tires but the MRC Medium have a very thick and strong casing. Never had a flat, a burp or any leak with them.

If you must use sealant and are happy with Stan's, why not use it?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. Tires are at the shop, hopefully will get down there tomorrow. As far as using the Stan's, I am happy with it for sure, it was just that this stuff looked like less ongoing maint. Changing out the Stan's once every 3 months isn't killing me of course, but those 15 minutes every three months add up to an hour in a year that I could be riding

Can't wait to try out the tires this weekend!

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Max99
    I've got a set of new Hutchinson Barracuda MRC Medium UST 2.3's (wow that's a mouthful) on order. I've been running Conti Vertical Pro UST's on Mavic x819's and have been happy, but I wanted a beefier more agressive tire. I've been using Stan's with the Conti's with no problems. I remove the tire every 3 months, drain the Stan's, clean the rims and the beads and then put everything together with fresh Stan's. While reading up on the Barracudas here, I saw a few mentions of the Hutchinson Protect Air goop. Looks like it does not set up like the Stan's and need to be cleaned out and replaced regularly.

Does anyone have any thoughts on one over the other?

Thanks
    Big fan of Hutchinson tires, especially the Spiders. NOT a big fan of their Protect Air sealant. It did not work worth a crap for me. Not to mention it's extremely expensive...

I was also looking for a sealant that would not dry up over time inside the tire. I tried a lot of things and ended up going back to the Stan's sealant.

Tex
    surfer dude
    Oct 2004
    I was curious about the Hutch Protect AIR product as well. I've been using Stans Latex, then in January I tried Bontrager's version they call Superjuice which also doesn't dry out and costs more. Previously I'd used True Goo as well which actually does dry out, though more slowly, since it's water based, but the residue is very easily cleaned out.

The allure of an alternative tubeless sealant product that doesn't dry out is high with me because I'm primarily a roadie and I just don't get around to riding my MTB that much so I might get four or five rides in on a set of tires before the Stans latex will dry out plus it sorta ruins the tires with the resulting dried latex that doesn't come out (easily) by building up more and more in the tire, plus adding weight and mess and reducing resale value of tires if you happen to want to switch to different tires and they are otherwise like new (that's really minor with most, but like I said, I don't ride MTB that much).

What I found by experience is that any sealant that doesn't dry out or that isn't latex, may repair and seal holes pretty well, but none of them seal the bead as effectively in the long run. Latex dries and almost glues the bead in place and I get bead leaks, maybe just slow leaks, but leaks nonetheless and I had a real problem with this during a race in January (Terlingua Mas O Menos) when I flatted due to a valve stem leak, then the tire bead moved a bit and when reinflated it didn't quite seal all the way and I had a slow leak which was a problem in a 100k race like I was doing that day. Long story short is, you can use non-latex sealants and do OK for general riding, but come race day or some situation when you really can't be risking flats, the Stans or other latex sealants are a little more reliable. I never found that the non-latex sealants had any puncture sealing performance advantage over Stans either. They just didn't dry out was the only appeal of them, and none of them are cheaper. True Goo is the only price competitive option and comes out to be exact same price as Stans but only if you buy a gallon of it at a time, which is like a three year supply at least.

That's my $.02 to share.