mtbr member

Hutchinson Barracuda/IRC El Gato

I'm considering this combination F/R tires. Anyone have any experience with either? I will be using them for AM. MRC Med compound for the Hutch. Will be used on Idaho singletrack which is generally hardpack with some loose / sand.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtwitch
    I'm considering this combination F/R tires. Anyone have any experience with either? I will be using them for AM. MRC Med compound for the Hutch. Will be used on Idaho singletrack which is generally hardpack with some loose / sand.

Thanks,
    El Gato - it has a soft rubber tread, which can wear fast, but it sticks well even in fairly slippery conditions (and the tread pattern is good for climbing/braking traction). It's a popular Trials rear tire for the same reason - very grippy, and has fairly beefy sidewalls.

er, should have added, don't expect the El Gato to be a fast roller.
    Last edited by fsrxc; 11-30-2006 at 12:10 PM.

never ender
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtwitch

Thanks,
    I have a Barracuda 2.1 I've been using on the rear now and again. As a rear tire it's just OK...it's slow and doesn't brake as well as I'd expect, but its cornering grip is awesome. As a front tire it would probably do a lot better, especially in a 2.3 or 2.5. One of these days I'll get around to getting a 2.3 Low for the front, as I like the Barracuda tread pattern and I want to give it another try. The Barracuda likes really low tire pressure, BTW.