mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Which hubs with ZTR Olympic rims? Thinking of changing my wheels...

In order to lighten my bike, I'm thinking of changing my wheels. My current setup is Mavic 819 tubeless laced to DT swiss 340 hubs. I don't like changing the tires with these wheels, it is very hard and annoying! Otherwise, I like them despite the fact that they are a bit heavy.

I'm 125 lbs and ride cross country, no drops/jumps, etc. unless an occasionnal 1 or 2 feet drop. Mainly xc riding, lots of roots and rocks and some flowy trails that just demands to ride hard without much obstacles in them.

I was thinking of getting Stans no tubes ZTR Olympic rims. What do you think of these rims?

Which hubs should I put on them? American Classic, DT swiss? Of course, cost is an issue so chris king and hope may be out of the questions (despite their cool look). I've also been told that there is another fabrican of hubs which makes hubs identical as American Classic but cheaper in cost. Don't know the name of the fabrican..

what are your input? I want the wheels to be light yet durable to witstant lots of seasons of xc riding and fun times

Former Bike Wrench
    Not sure where your getting your prices...Hope hubs are cheaper than King, DT, or American Classic hubs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Not sure if you know, but I don't think NoTubes makes the Olympic any more, the new version is called the Alpine. It has the new BST design, which performs tubeless better.

I have 2 sets of wheels with Stan's ZTR hubs - so far, they are fine, light and affordable. I also have ZTR Race with AC hubs - no issues after a couple years at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hope are cheaper? I thought they were on the same price scale as King.. (I havent checked the price range of the hubs yet but I know King are expensive)

I didn't know Olympic are now Alpine. Good to know I've been told AC are good hub. are they?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremgirl
    Hope are cheaper? I thought they were on the same price scale as King.. (I havent checked the price range of the hubs yet but I know King are expensive)

I didn't know Olympic are now Alpine. Good to know I've been told AC are good hub. are they?
    Hope hubs are almost half the price of Kings...AC hubs are good as well and cheaper than Kings but not quite as inexpensive as Hope hubs