I Have Gnarly Potential

Hubs: Chris King vs XTR

If you were to use XTR Disk Brakes (or anything that has that 160mm rotor size that fits a XTR rotor), and had the choice of those 2 hubs, which would you/do you use (price aside)?

Is the King a better preforming Hub? and if so (probably is, unsure about how the new 07 XTR's preform though) is it worth using 6 bolt rotors as apposed to the XTR with Centerlock?

mtbr member
    The only reason I would not use the Chris King hubs is that I believe the centre lock system is mechanically better than six bolts. The disc is centered in the splines, the braking force is distributed evenly and not just on the six bolts.

Some will argue that the cone and cup bearings that Shimano uses are better than cartridge bearings and are adjustable. I have read some strings discussing that aspect. I've also read complaints that the aluminum freehub on the Chris King gets damaged.

I've been using XTR hubs for some time now with a 160mm. rear disc and a 203mm. XT front disc.

Ronnie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Krause
    If you were to use XTR Disk Brakes (or anything that has that 160mm rotor size that fits a XTR rotor), and had the choice of those 2 hubs, which would you/do you use (price aside)?

Is the King a better preforming Hub? and if so (probably is, unsure about how the new 07 XTR's preform though) is it worth using 6 bolt rotors as apposed to the XTR with Centerlock?
    What is the engagement like on the 07 XTRs? i dunno the answer but it would be the deciding factor for me.

i have a Crossmax wheelset (which i'm afraid of), three wheelsets sets with XTs and one set with Kings. the XTs have been great. had to replace the freehub on one of them after three years for all of 25 bucks. hard to complain - until you ride a rear hub with better engagement. the Kings require routine maintenance, but even a hubaphobic like myself can handle it. and the engagement is superb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    According to the Big S, 07' XTR will have 120 or 125% better engagement and a 20mm TA option.
    - I can't remember if they will offer Center-Lock AND 6-Bolt. It wouldn't shock me seeing how the whole Group seems to be built and billed as having options for everybody.

mtbr member
    the 07 XTR's have an added pawl (a total of 3) which gives it 15 degrees between each engagement point. king hubs have 3 degrees between each engagement point. however, i would choose xtr, because the king hubs have too much drag for my liking. although i dont like the centerlock rotor system.

mtbr member
    Get the CK, they are simply the best hubs made. I love 72 enagement points.

Not just famous; infamous
    Quote Originally Posted by cougar9000
    the 07 XTR's have an added pawl (a total of 3) which gives it 15 degrees between each engagement point. king hubs have 3 degrees between each engagement point. however, i would choose xtr, because the king hubs have too much drag for my liking. although i dont like the centerlock rotor system.
    According to Shimano's website, the 07's have 36 engagement points, which would mean 10 degree engagement. King's have 72, which would be 5 degree engagement, or twice as fast as the '07 XTR.

The new XTR's are first on my list right now for my next wheelset. They're lighter than Kings or Hopes and have faster engagment than the Hopes. As an added bonus, they're probably a lot quieter and there's no way they cost as much or drag as much as Kings....of course, they only come in one color too.

The only fly in the ointment is that the XTRs are centerlock, and I have a set of Juicys going on the new bike. I'm hoping Avid (or somebody) makes a 185mm centerlock rotor...

Edit: Hah, just found the solution: DT Centerlock to IS adapter
    Last edited by coolhandluchs; 08-22-2006 at 02:25 PM.

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Yea thats definitely a + for center lock, you can get a 6 bolt adapter for those hubs, but cant get a centerlock adapter for the 6 bolts ;P

JORBA: Six Mile Run
    Quote Originally Posted by cougar9000
    Like coolhandluchs said, Chris king are 5 degree. Industry Nine hubs give the choice of 6 or 3 degree engagement. Thats 60 or 120 engagement points.

I Have Gnarly Potential
    The new XTR hubs (maybe the old too) are talking about having a diagonal seating so that it handles side pressure better. Is this anything to consider a plus over Kings?

Im still trying to decide whats a better combined set, King Hubs and standard 6 bolt Rotors or XTR and Centerlock :/

Quote Originally Posted by Krause
    Im still trying to decide whats a better combined set, King Hubs and standard 6 bolt Rotors or XTR and Centerlock :/
    You really can't go wrong with Kings, they have more advantages than problems. They are freaky expensive, though, even if you can get 'em at dealer cost. They're very spendy and there's not much markup so you won't find a lot of great deals. Maybe you can get lucky on Ebay??

For me, money's pretty tight right now. Shimano XTR typically cost about 2/3 what King ISOs run. Now that they have faster engagement, they're really a contender in my book.

If you have the money or want pretty colors, (or like the auditory sensation of being chased by hundreds of killer bees) get Kings. If you want to save a couple hundred bucks and can live with charcoal colored hubs, get XTR. If you want to save a couple hundred bucks, don't care about super-quick engagement and want some color, get Hope Pro IIs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    how many engagement point does the XTR hubs has now?

Quote Originally Posted by cerro
    how many engagement point does the XTR hubs has now?
    I believe the current XTR and XT modesl have 16 EPs.

The 2007 XTR will have 36 EPs.

I Have Gnarly Potential
    anyone else have any other thoughts on what they think is better?
    The king hubs with more engagement points (maybe better bearings too?) and 6 bolt Rotors
    or XTR Hubs, with their angled bearings (unsure if their cartridge or not) and Centerlock Rotors. (assuming your breaks can use the Shimano rotors, and Price aside)

I like Kings, beautiful workmanship and I love their headsets as well, made in the US (works for me to spend my dollars whenever possible to support US jobs). I have several sets. Fully serviceable, which I like (I do my own work on them, have the hub tool too).

The freehub mechanism is fully serviceable, whereas Shimano's is a sealed unit which is intended to be replaced rather than be serviced (and the XTR replacement is pricey). The freehub mechanism is completely different, not just the points of engagement; the King ring drive design is superior to a pawl/ratchet system IMHO. OTOH Kings need more maintenance, but if you do that they last a very long time, bearings included. King bearings are proprietary, so if you do need bearings they can be a pain to obtain whereas the Shimanos use widely available ball bearings.

Kings were lighter than XTRs at one point, but XTR has caught up. Shimano didn't offer a 20mm thru axle front hub, seems they're addressing that now. I prefer 6 bolt standard particularly for rotor choice (and not just having a Shimano choice), 6 bolt attachment works just fine. The stock King aluminum drive shell can be substituted for a steel one if the notching from your cogs bothers you, but at extra expense of $ and weight.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    According to Shimano's website, the 07's have 36 engagement points, which would mean 10 degree engagement. King's have 72, which would be 5 degree engagement, or twice as fast as the '07 XTR.

The new XTR's are first on my list right now for my next wheelset. They're lighter than Kings or Hopes and have faster engagment than the Hopes.
    First of all, I am not a weight weenie, but Kings are not "heavy" by any stretch of the imagination. How much lighter are the XTR (just wondering)? What if you take into account the rotors, do the centerlock rotors weigh more or less than standard ISO rotors of the same size?

Just another option: Hope Bulbs are 36 point... I have seen them selling for "cheap" lately. I think the new Hope hubs that are replacing the Bulb are slower engaging though. Why would they choose to take a step backwards? Makes no sense to me.

I have a King rear hub (6 years old) and also a rear Hope Bulb. I do like the Kings better, but the Hope was acceptable for the price. The difference in engagement is obviously noticable, but the Hopes at 36 points certainly aren't bad by any means. I guess my point here is that I feel 36 points and up feel good, less than that is not so great (to me). The Kings are nice, really freaking nice. Easy to work on (if you have the tools). I'd buy a King rear hub again, no regrets. Seals are kind of tight but that is fine, it's not like they are going to actually slow you down (seriously? come on). They are durable; I ride year-round in the wet side of Oregon... they make sense to me. The ring drive in the Kings, IMO, is superior to any pawl setup I have seen or can imagine.

I am very happy to see that Shimano is starting to make some faster engaging hubs - it's about time! When I get on an old Shimano slow engaging wheel, I am always like WTF this thing feels so sloppy... you get used to fast engagement and expect it everywhere. Great for slow tech, wheelie drops, etc. Just feels nice.

Centerlock... might be better design but who is really having problems with ISO 6 bolt disc hubs? I think I said the same thing about square taper cranks a few years ago... and now I am on Saint cranks, so take that with a grain of salt.

i thought it was sticky
    the only competion to the kings are I 9. but they havn't been making that same perfect hub for what? 10+ years? and the cost is worth it when you look at how the company does buisness. you'll have the king hubs longer than any other part on the bike. (except maybe the king headset)

there is simply no subsitute for chris king parts. just do it and be done with it.

sushi lover
    May 2006
    I agree -- Chris King all the way, if you have the budget for it