mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Hub sizing...clueless and need some help

I would like to get new hubs and a pair of stans rims to cut some weight off of my heavy 2011 Giant Yukon FX. I'm looking around online, but I have no clue about the sizes, etc. All I know is that according to my local bike shop I need a 32 hole quick release hub. When I search online there are all kinds of different sizes. I am thinking about getting Pro 2 Evo Hubs by Hope. Will these fit my bike? Thanks in advance....I'm clueless.

mtbr member

Hub sizing...clueless and need some help

Look for 135mm rear QR hub and 100mm QR front hub. But you may want to look around for an entire wheelset, it may be cheaper than having wheels built. Or were you planning to build them yourself?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs are an excellent choice. They are a great hub and are convertible to all the different standards. I do agree with BinaryBike though...you will most likely save money purchasing a complete wheelset. I picked up a set of Stans Flow EX rims on Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs from wiggle.com for $336 shipped.

Just FYI - There are a few different standards to be aware of. Front hubs are either QR (skewer), 15mm or 20mm. Which one you need depends on your fork.

Rear hubs are either 135mm x QR (skewer), 135mm x 10mm TA (through axle), 135mm x 12mm bolt on, 142mm x 12mm TA or 142 x 12mm bolt on. Which one you need depends on your frame (rear triangle). I might be missing something, but just wanted to give you an idea.

If your LBS says you need a quick release hub, then that means a standard 100mm x QR front and 135mm x QR rear hub, just as BinaryBike said above.

Hope this helps.

JP

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yes, this does help. Thank you very much.