mtbr member
    Jan 2017

How Wide Should Rims Be For 2.5" Tire

I just put a 27.5/2.5" WTB Convict on the front and 2.4" Riddler on the rear of my Giant Anthem. I was told that the tires would expand more if I had wider rims. My stock rims(Giant XC-1) state a 25mm width on something I found online, but it has 584x23 on rim itself.Not sure if that's internal or external. Anyone know the specs for this rim?How Wide Should Rims Be For 2.5" Tire-wheel.tire.jpg

How wide of rims should I buy in order to accomplish a more filled out tire?

I'd love to have plus tires, but not possible on this bike. My best bet is to maximize the ones I have by getting wider rims. Is my thinking correct? Thanks in advance
    Giant Anthem SX
    Trek X Caliber 7
    Giant Talon 3
    Giant XTC JR
    Trek 7.2 FX
    Trek 2200

mtbr member
    your rims are 23mm wide as stated on the rim. I'd recommend 30mm rims for 2.5 tires

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks a bunch...is the 23mm referring to external width?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That's internal width. I fit a schwalbe rocket ron 2.6" wide on 35mm carbon Rims to the anthem advanced with about 4mm clearance on chain stays, seat stays has a bit more clearance.
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Most DH pro riders were using 19-23 mm wide rims until just a few years ago, matched to 2.5 wire bead DH tires. They were faster riders than most that will post on this thread. Your setup is fine. If you want to get set up for wider rims, with Maxxis WT tires, at 17-19 PSI, thats a cool route too, if you can afford it.

mtbr member
    28-32mm. Maxxis WT requires 35mm, but few people make them yet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Most DH pro riders were using 19-23 mm wide rims until just a few years ago, matched to 2.5 wire bead DH tires. They were faster riders than most that will post on this thread. Your setup is fine. If you want to get set up for wider rims, with Maxxis WT tires, at 17-19 PSI, thats a cool route too, if you can afford it.
    Yep. Should work fine. Wider is better, but not essential.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverB View Post
    28-32mm. Maxxis WT requires 35mm, but few people make them yet

Maxxis says the Wide Trail tires are OPTIMIZED by 35mm rims but will work well with 30-35mm rims, depending on rider preference. Like was said, your rims are fine. Not perfect, maybe, but definitely fine. Hell, ENVE 60-40's were 23mm before they went exclusively to the HV model that are 26mm. Plenty of people were running 2.4's and 2.5's on those with no complaints.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    Maxxis says the Wide Trail tires are OPTIMIZED by 35mm rims but will work well with 30-35mm rims, depending on rider preference. Like was said, your rims are fine. Not perfect, maybe, but definitely fine. Hell, ENVE 60-40's were 23mm before they went exclusively to the HV model that are 26mm. Plenty of people were running 2.4's and 2.5's on those with no complaints.
    Interesting you should mention maxxis, there is a thread about this pasted below. Maxxis actually chimed in because the official company line is they are optimized for 35mm rims yet not many rims of that size actually exist. The response to me implied they are indeed designed around 35mm and they are hoping wheel manufacturers follow. So far it is not happening based on the recent big SC release. My take away is that I will run 2.5 and 2.6 on my 29mm stans but no WT

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

When to go Maxxis WT

Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DriverB View Post
    Maxxis actually chimed in because the official company line is they are optimized for 35mm rims yet not many rims of that size actually exist.
    They worked with Enve on development and 28mm iw was optimal for performance. Since so many Derby, Ibis, chenve etc. 35mm iw wheels were being sold, 35mm became optimal for marketing.

I have a set of lightly used Ibis 942s for sale if anyone's interested.

mtbr member
    That is simply not true... Read the thread. Also read this
    http://www.maxxis.com/wide-trail-wt-design

They are designed around 35mm, and which is basically Ibis for major manufacturers. Enve and SC declined

Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    So I'm thinking I'll look into 30mm rims, compared to the stock 23mm's I have on now. I guess I'm looking for confirmation that the wider rims will fill out the 2.5" and 2.4" WTB's that I have on now. I'd hate to purchase new wheels and there be little noticieable difference to the tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
    So I'm thinking I'll look into 30mm rims, compared to the stock 23mm's I have on now. I guess I'm looking for confirmation that the wider rims will fill out the 2.5" and 2.4" WTB's that I have on now. I'd hate to purchase new wheels and there be little noticieable difference to the tires.
    I used Schwalbe 27.5x2.6 tires on a 23 mm id rim for a while before getting a 35 mm id set of wheels. They work better on the 35 (it increased the volume a bit, and provide a bit more sidewall support so I feel comfortable running less pressure), but worked fine on the 23. A lot of this is "picking fly sh*t out of pepper". If you have the money, fine. If not, just try it for a while. If you are inclined to get a new wheelset and your bike can handle wide tires, you might as well go to 35mm just so you don't have buyer's remorse if the tire industry continues to develop tires for rims of that width.

"I'd hate to purchase new wheels and there be little noticeable difference to the tires."
    If you go to a higher quality wheelset that has quicker engagement and is stiffer, those qualities will probably be more noticeable than a 7mm increase in width. For that reason it may make sense to upgrade your wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Good info.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    ~26mm...you're 1mm off...better buy all new wheel$..jk ; )

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Exactly. I'm going nuts with all of this bike stuff. The chase for the perfect bike will never end

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Because you always want the newest/latest bike.
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv
    '17 SC Bronson CC
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '15 Giant Anthem 1_SOLD
    '12 Trek Remedy 9_SOLD

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    What is it measuring up at? What shape does it have? Knobs or casing wider?

I don't see 23mm problematic for 2.5", but probably about the limit. The thing is that I prefer slightly narrower out back generally to keep the sidewalls a bit more protected, so 25mm rims for 2.6" tyres works well for me. You need to run slightly higher pressure to keep it from squirming around than you would with wider rims, but too low in the rear and it's rim ding/pinch flat time anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Agree with MSU ALum - I wouldn't sweat on this at all - I am running 29x2.6 on older Flows (22.5mm) without any problems, pressure around 14-15PSI - I am 69 kg.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
    I'd love to have plus tires, but not possible on this bike. My best bet is to maximize the ones I have by getting wider rims. Is my thinking correct? Thanks in advance
    While it is not a yes/no, black-white issue, unfortunately I'd say your thinking is incorrect.

While many tires made in a 2.5" flavor are designed for wider rims many are designed around non-wide rims. Your particular tire, I do not know, but I think I recall WTB saying your particular 2.5" was meant to be run on a wider rim.

So, in this individual case your thinking works well. But, way too many riders (myself included) bought into the idea that all tires should be run on wider rims. There are definite drawbacks to running tires on too narrow a rim.

Some riders can get away with wider rims and tires not meant for them. It allows lower psi without tire squirm, and that feels real nice on the trail. Problem is, when that set up is ridden aggressively over raw, rocky terrain, at speed, you can easily destroy both rim and tire. If your style is more laid back maybe you can get away with a mismatch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    jesse melamed is using a 2.5WT maxxis minion DHF on stan's arch mk3 which has 26mm internal for his front tire. i'm not into "if pro rides it, i should buy it" but it can make sense here. while the manufacturers claim >2.5 wide is better designed for 35mm internal rims, i think <30mm iw will work fine for those 2.5 wide tires.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Most everyone makes 35mm rims now and they price about like the rest. Only question is if the extra stability is worth the weight. If you are lacing up new wheels get the width you like best. I'd suggest 30-35mm for 2.5s. You might be able to fit 2.6s.

MTB B'dos
    As others have said, it's relevant which tyre you're using quite a bit and how round or flat you like your tyre profile. For me, I don't like a too round profile, so I run i29 rims with 2.3" tyres, it gives my 2.3" DHF roughly the same profile that my 3" DHF has on an i39 rim. So for me, my general recommendation for rim width for your avg 2.3-2.4" tyre is minimum i25 to i30, I would definitely not a run a 2.5" tyre on anything less than i29, not for the profile I like and how easy I feel tyre roll/squirm.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    According to Stans ;

26mm ID : 2.25 - 2.50
    29mm ID : 2.35 - 2.80

https://www.notubes.com/
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    A pro using a 2.5WT on 26mm rims will charge through chunk faster than any of us and so want higher pressures, largely reducing any squirm/roll. On top of that he is no doubt also comfortable with the vague transition zone you'd get with that tyre profile.

For most of us I think the Stans recommendations is just about right. I ride with tyre sizes at the upper limit, 2.6" on a 26mm rim (I think it's actually 25.5mm) and 2.8" on a 29mm rim, with the tyres actually measuring 2.5" and 2.7" respectively at riding pressure. Both feel nice, however the tyre pressure window is getting very small and if I get a small puncture and don't notice then it's a world of hurt soon after (happened today, snakebite ).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sometimes wheel manufacturers specify rims to match tire sizes based on what rims they currently have. One 2.5" tire with heavy sidewalls and tread aimed at downhill runs doesn't get the same width rim as a tire with a light flexible 120tpi sidewall tire designed for lower speeds and less protection.

mtbr member
    Per this website https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/08/12...-best-results/ referencing the ETRTO chart from Schwalbe:

Approved rims sizes for a 2.4in/62mm tires are from 19mm to 29mm. That is where the chart ends, but I would have to assume for a 2.5/63mm tire it would be 20mm to 30mm.

Rocks belong
    So I specifically emailed WTB about their Breakout and Convict 2.5 tires.

They recommended their Asym i29 (over Asym i35)
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Awesome. Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Per WTB on page 28:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...99827993724172

19-29c rims are the approved widths.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm running the WTB convict on my own wheels which are 35mm inner width. I think the minion dhf 2.5wt is better on my wheels but I like the convict although only have 3 rides on it so far....

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    30mm