mtbr member
    Mar 2009

how to: tubeless tire hole along bead repair

So you got a little greedy and ran too low of air pressure in your tubeless setup, bashed a rock, and put a hole right along the bead of your tire... happened to me twice now and it sucks.

pinch flat hole right along the bead on a UST tubless tire

I tried numerous times to patch the holes with shoe goo, tire patch kits etc and everything falls off or leaks. The hole is just big enough where sealant wont plug it up and to make matters worse the hole is right along the bead of the tire.

So I think I found a fix, I did a search and couldn't find any "how to" on this subject so here it goes...

Supplies: Aquaseal urethane repair adhesive and sealant, Patch cut from old tube, X-acto Knife, Rubbing Alcohol

step 1
    clean inside of tire and rubber patch with rubbing alcohol

step2
    Spread an even coat (not too thick/ not too thin) of Aquaseal over hole and large enough to overlap rubber patch...I used the X-acto knife to spread the Aquaseal, careful to not cut another hole into your tire

step3
    place patch over Aquaseal, push patch down, make sure not to push down to hard or you will squish all the adhesive out from under the patch..let dry for 24 hours

step4
    apply a second coat of Aquaseal overlapping patch...make sure there are no holes or gaps...let dry for 24 hours

finished product

What was once a tubeless tire doomed to be ridden with tubes is now good as new. Been riding on the repaired tire tubeless for a week with stans sealant and 35psi and no issues.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    An inner tube gives no structural support to the casing, which has been compromised
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    the patch material cut from inner tube combined with the urethane sealant works great for snake bite holes in a tubeless tire especially along the bead where holes are difficult to patch...if you are trying to repair a BIG tear or hole I could see structural support in the casing being an issue.

obviously the tire is not brand new again but this repair allows you to continue to run your tire as tubeless and not have to throw a tube in your tire because of a snake bite hole that wont seal with regular stans sealant

mtbr member
    nice post. while I appreciate the tips on how to fix this situation, how do people prevent it from happening in the first place? almost every tire I have ever run tubeless has succumbed to a pinch flat at the bead and spent most of its useful life with a tube.

I typically run 28-32 psi depending on front or rear, tubeless or tubed, tire, conditions etc. I would rather run tubes than have to increase tire pressure significantly (I thought the whole point of tubeless was the ability to run lower pressure...), and I don't suffer excessive pinch flats running those pressure with tubes. I've never run a true UST tire on UST rims, all of my attempts at tubeless have been with "tubeless ready" tires (specialized 2bliss and Armadillo 2bliss tires, to be exact) and rims with rimstrips. so obviously I could try UST/UST, but plenty of people out there seem to have success without resorting to that. so is it just a case of choosing (heavier) tires with burlier sidewalls or are there other tricks?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I should say the above how to article and following comments are in regards to XC/AM types of setups and riding trails....I am 165 pounds and am on a Turner 5spot(DW) and for my riding style and the trails I ride I have had bad luck with tubes, I always get a pinch flat on tubes if I run anything under 40psi especially when I visit places like Moab(Porcupine/ Portal trails)...Where as if I were running tubeless I could run them at 30-35psi and not have to worry about pinch flats AT ALL ...Out here in Utah the trails can be a bit chunky so I try not to dip below 30psi on my tubeless...the pinch flats on my tubeless tires usually happen when I run my tires around 25psi, in which a tubed tire wouldnt have a chance or would be short lived on these trails...The types of trails and your riding style plays a big part on how low of a psi you can get away with

so yes you can run lower tire pressures with a tubeless setup and even if you run your pressures the same as a setup with tubes you will never have to worry about a pinch flat.

I like the peace of mind you get when running tubeless, you can run lower pressures but also you dont have to worry about pinch flats unless you're running extremely low pressures

so lesson learned for me is you still have to watch your tire pressures even if you are running tubeless, took me a couple of UST tires to figure this out, couldn't figure out why I was getting holes right on the bead, but now they are fixed and ready to be run as tubeless again

I am currently running UST tires on Stans Flow rims setup for tubeless, with 1 scoop of Stans sealant...The UST tires seat flawlessly on the rims using a floor pump...All these people having trouble mounting tires and making a big mess are probably running some sort of ghetto tubeless setup....Run a true UST setup and you will have no problems

With all that said so far I have had good luck running tubes on my DH bike, probably because they are beefier/higher volume tubes and tires and going downhill wheel weight is not so much a concern(unless you are racing) running them somewhere between 35-38psi
    Last edited by dmar123; 05-17-2011 at 08:43 PM.