mtbr member
    Jun 2012

how thorn resistant are your tires?

I'm curious to hear about other's experience with tires. mtb and commuting tires.
    I recently I sold my bike which had Specialized Hemisphere tires. I used regular tubes and didn't use any sef-sealing stuff at all. In more than a year, commuting and mountain riding ocasionally, I never got a flat except for once and it was a screw on the road.
    So on my new bike I have WTB PROWLER SL tires. They got flats very soon after I got the bike. had to put slime in them. Then I got a pair of Continental Contacts for commuting around town. Same story with them. Very minor punctures, probably thorns. had to put Slime in them also.
    So are Specialized tires the only ones out there with REAL puncture protection. On the ones I had the only specific technology they had was the "FlakJacket" deal. I would like to hear any reviews on the other higher end tires out there. I would just get Specialized, but man they're expensive.

mtbr member
    For commuting and for places I do not ever want to flat (or don't want to carry a kit) I use a Tuffy liner. I have actually had a stick pierce through my tire before, and the Tuffy did its job. Most of my other bikes I run UST or ghetto tubeless, both with Stans. On a REALLY long MTB ride I did (2000 miles) I carried a Park tire boot, and used it successfully after I torn a 3" gash in my sidewall.

You could always ask your local bike shop which tires are thorn resistant, and are in your price range.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

Bro Mountainbiker
    I I go to a Football SEC school and post game broken glass is what we have to put up with. Been using Gator skin 25mms for about a year and never flatted once. I also do gravel rides on those with no issues.

I only had one instance where I ran over thorns this year on the MTB. I was racing the Skyway epic and must have hit a patch while climbing... No flat though thanks to Mr Stan.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't get a lot of thorns where I am, so no comment on MTB tires beyond that many don't have puncture protection.

For road tires, I don't see much of a distinction in performance among all the tires I've used that have puncture protection. That's Continental Grand Prix 4000s, Specialized Armadillos, a house-branded Performance tire, and currently a pair of mid-range Michelins. I don't see as much broken glass as Sheepo, but my state has neither an income tax nor street cleaning, so I do get my share of debris. I figured the difference between systems was more to do with rolling resistance and I'm surprised you're having trouble with yours.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx