mtbr member
    Nov 2004

How to remove 142 end cap from Bontrager Rhythm Comp hub

I was helping a friend replace the drivetrain on his bike tonight, and ran into problems trying to get the cassette removed from the hub. I have a Park FR-5 cassette lockring remover, and it wouldn't seat all the way down on the splines of the lockring. Looking closely at it, I'm pretty sure that the 142 end cap is causing the FR-5 to only partially seat on the lockring, and when you try to loosen the lockring the eventually the FR-5 just slips - it actually chewed up the bottom of the splines on the tool pretty badly.

It looks to me like the end cap comes off. I tried pulling with a pair of pliers and it didn't come off. Do they thread on instead, or do I just need to be more aggressive in pulling on the end cap?

Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    I have the Duster wheelset on the rumblefish, and my hub (has fcc printed on the hub) uses the FR-5G tool instead. To try and answer your question, at least as far as it relates to my hub, I only have an easily removable end cap on the non-drive side. The drive side is reverse-threaded onto the piece that runs all the way through the center of the hub, but I didn't have to remove anything for the FR-5G to fit into the lock nut holding the cassette on.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1