mtbr member

How to recognize bad Hubs?

I have hubs on many of my bikes that make noise as they rotate. That does not seem right to me but they did this from day one. They also have a weird slight wobble to them (though the tire does not wobble).

How do I know when a hub is bad, or worn out, or simply inferior? I have not done much work on hubs so i am at a loss. I really want my tire to spin for a good while when I give it a push. I don't see why it shouldn't but I don't know if the hub is bad, or just inferior...

Thanks for help and tips.
    2012 Fianceť
    2011 Spc SJ Cmp Crbn 29
    2010 Fantom Cross Outlaw
    2009 Spc RH Exprt Disc 29
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7
    2007 Spc RH

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    What kind of bike is it? Does it have the original wheels? How many miles you have on the wheelset? When you say they dont spin well...any chance your brake pads are rubbing on the rotors? Hubs require maintenance and something you need to consider. Just like s suspension, they require routine servicing for best performance. Even higher end hubs like king, hope, dt, Hadley etc...need to be serviced or rebuilt at some point. Lower quality hubs sometimes Have limited maintenance options. If it has play, snug them up and make sure your skewers are nice and snug. If its not engaging correctly in the rear, find out if they are offer sealed bearings, grease port openings, or offer rebuild kits. No way to direct you to the service manual without knowing your application.

A high end wheelset offers a huge performance increase, and we are luckily enough to have budget friendly builds to fit many budgets. Stan's, run ringle, and wtb come to mind. Plus it's always very nice to have a backup set...they are not all bombproof!

mtbr member
    The Fantom Cross Outlaw is the concern at the moment. The wheel does not wiggle and seems to rotate true. But on each revolution when not pedaling you can hear a scrape. And the wheel does not roll freely for as long a time as I would like when I give it a good push. Its not the brake, I know how to service those. I suppose its time to learn about the hub now.

I believe this is the hub in question: Vuelta XRP Black Anodized Aluminum 130mm rear hub, sealed precision bearings, 6 Bolt Disc compatible
    2012 Fianceť
    2011 Spc SJ Cmp Crbn 29
    2010 Fantom Cross Outlaw
    2009 Spc RH Exprt Disc 29
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7
    2007 Spc RH