mtbr member
    Mar 2008

How to lighten Outlaws

I posted this in the hardtail thread, no real responses. I want to lighten up my outlaws, I am assuming the spokes would be where to start, which ones would be recommended to keep them strong at the same time, or hubs IDK so please help me out? I am not a real big hit guy, just want strong and light with what I have to work with. Thanks

mtbr member
    You haven't provided enough information to get helpful responses.

First mistake is assuming we know what an Outlaw is. Some do, some don't. Put me in the latter camp.

Next we need to know how much you weigh, and if you've ever broken a wheel and if so what model it was. If you broke a wheel that was strong for your weight, it could mean you take big drops or nail everything head-on. If you have used lightweight wheels with no issues, it probably means you pick your lines well (or you got lucky ).

Finally we need to know your budget. This is important because it could be better to just buy a new wheelset and sell what you have now. We can assume you don't have wheelbuilding skills because of this thread, but if you have a shop or friend who can build wheels inexpensively that is helpful to know as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Good point, felt chastised but thats ok. I have Azonic Outlaws 36 spoke, These are the strongest wheels I have been on. Others include Wellgo, that were not to bad and no I have never bent, wrecked or in any other case ruined any rim. I have a small budget and picked up Mussons ebook, I want to learn how to build my own wheels for myself satisfaction. I weigh 216 and have a On One 456 that I will never use for what it is intended for, I like to climb to come back downhill, I do not jump, whoopty whoops on the trail is about it.{I have to go to work}.

mtbr member
    Hmm. You could go get some White Industries hubs, they are available in 36H. With Sapim CX-Ray spokes, it would probably be considerably lighter and just as strong.

But it'll cost you probably ever penny you've got in the wheelset already, and then some... approx $300-350.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thanks, I will look into that.

mtbr member
    CX rays are rolled flat revs that cost 3 times as much. They're basically useless for MTB's, and nearly useless for road bikes.

The outlaws are just heavy wheels. It would make a lot more sense to replace the entire wheelset with something lighter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    One pivot, gimme ideas in what direction to go in? I will have about 500.00 soon to play with.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rayray2316 View Post
    One pivot, gimme ideas in what direction to go in? I will have about 500.00 soon to play with.
    At that weight and budget I'd look into some Stans Arch EX of Flow EX rims on Stans hubs. They should come in around your budget. I'd guess the Arch EX option to come in around 1650gr, probably 600gr lighter than your Outlaws. If you want to save a few bucks, go for Shimano SLX or XT hubs with the same rims.
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    I second saving up a bit and replacing them.

A set of mid range mavic rims (719 or 521) will drop you about 150-100g per rim respectively, built on DT competition spokes or equivalent and then hub of your choosing (I like Hope, but Hope is cheaper in the UK).

I raced four cross on Mavic 719s for two years without problems (32 spoke, Hope Pro 2s). I weigh 200lb-ish and the only time I damaged a rim was in a crash. The only down side as such is that they're quite narrow, but 2.3/2.4 tyres sit on them fine.

mtbr member
    personally... id go with king hubs and a good hoop. Its way over your budget new, but easily under your budget used. With king hubs, its not really an issue to buy used. You'd get all kinds of bling, one of the best hubs on the market, and with a decent rim you'd shave quite a bit of weight.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    CX rays are rolled flat revs that cost 3 times as much. They're basically useless for MTB's, and nearly useless for road bikes.

The outlaws are just heavy wheels. It would make a lot more sense to replace the entire wheelset with something lighter.
    CX-Rays are Lasers forged into the bladed shape, not rolled. Work just fine for mt and road bikes. Have them in 3 wheelsets. Would use them for all my wheels if cost was not an issue.

I do agree that an all new wheelset is more practical than trying to rebuild the Outlaws.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    They're just as fine as the lasers they're made from, but they cost 3 times more. If you're fighting for podium in a fast road race, the few seconds they *may* save you over a whole course might be worth it. I doubt you'll see any aero gain on a mountain bike, but you'll spend 215 bucks on spokes instead of about 70 for revs/lasers. The same weight loss is achieved with either spoke, its just tossing away money for the CX rays.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well shiggy between you and one pivot, and you sold me my On One a few months ago. I believe that is the direction I will head in. I will probably go with Hadleys instead of kings and get 2 good hoops and spokes. Might take awhile but the end product will be worth it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    They're just as fine as the lasers they're made from, but they cost 3 times more. If you're fighting for podium in a fast road race, the few seconds they *may* save you over a whole course might be worth it. I doubt you'll see any aero gain on a mountain bike, but you'll spend 215 bucks on spokes instead of about 70 for revs/lasers. The same weight loss is achieved with either spoke, its just tossing away money for the CX rays.
    I have build wheels with Revos and with CX-Rays, using the same rims and hubs. The CX-Ray wheels were more stable, rode better and lasted longer.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    King hubs? Wow, his wheelset cost less than a CK rear hub. This thread isn't "what sht do I think makes a good wheelset" it is how to lighten my Azonic Outlaws (if I can/should).

mtbr member
    You might have missed the part where hes got a 500 dollar budget, and quite open to the idea of buying new wheels. You also seemed to miss the cost explanation of why kings can still work with that budget. Pretty much the whole thread moved past lightening the outlaws

MTB B'dos
    Definitely don't spend any money on that wheelset trying to make it lighter, waste of $$. Look at Hope Pro2 laced to Stans Flow or Arch with double butted spokes, they should fall someplace in the 1800g range, which AFAIk should be about 500-660g lighter than the Outlaws. Check Wiggle.co.uk for probably the best prices on them Hope MTB Wheels | Wiggle

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics