how large???

Printable View

• 05-02-2007
    ooten
    how large???
    I'm getting a 07 Kona Caldera, and wondering how big of tires can i fit on it without any troubles? Also would like some suggestions for tires. The bike comes with Ignitors 2.1. I'm not interested in racing or anything. I want a tire thats gonna grip really well on climbing, cornering, and downhill. Rolling ressistance is not a big factor and weights not much of a factor either, price is a factor. I would like to stay in a reasonable price range. The conditions will be mixed with rocks and roots. Any suggestions appreciated.
  • 05-02-2007
    shiggy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ooten
    I'm getting a 07 Kona Caldera, and wondering how big of tires can i fit on it without any troubles? Also would like some suggestions for tires. The bike comes with Ignitors 2.1. I'm not interested in racing or anything. I want a tire thats gonna grip really well on climbing, cornering, and downhill. Rolling ressistance is not a big factor and weights not much of a factor either, price is a factor. I would like to stay in a reasonable price range. The conditions will be mixed with rocks and roots. Any suggestions appreciated.

My replies to another new rider on the same subject:
    =========

Work on learning good off road techniques before you start changing tires. The Ignitors are fine tires for most riders in a range of conditions.

After a few years of riding I was able to climb trails on my road bike with 25mm slicks that I could not handle as a newbie on my mtb with full knobbies.

=========

Keep the Ignitors while you improve your skills. Changing tires while your technique is still in its formative stages will only make your learning time longer.

"Better" equipment can not make up for poor technique.

Plus keeping the Ignitors on cost you nothing extra.
  • 05-03-2007
    fsrxc
    try the Kona forum for tire clearance on your bike.
  • 05-03-2007
    shiggy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fsrxc
    try the Kona forum for tire clearance on your bike.

or use the spec charts on my tire site to estimate what may fit.

I would still just use the Ignitors.