mtbr member

How to install Cushcore in a little over 7 minutes per wheel (video)

Disclaimer: I'm kind of an asshole (but it's all in good fun). No offense to skills with phil he's just a little bit too dramatic for me. Especially with that killer mustache and those monster forearms. Man up Phil. A woodworking clamp? Really? Cushcore rocks!

There seems to be a lot of controversy over Cushcore and that it's impossible to install. Here's a video proving otherwise. I don't work in a bike shop, I've installed exactly two sets of Cushcore with a little common sense. If I didn't talk through the video and rushed I'm sure I could have done it in under 5 minutes. Apologies for the messy garage I'm in the middle of a camper van build, and apologies for my wife's inability to pan the camera down. Follow Cushcore's instructions standing on the hammer to hold the rim in place. The important shit is in the video. I'm not really a youtuber.

The gear:

29" Specialized Carbon Roval 30mm ID Wheel
    29" x 2.5 Maxxis DHF EXO Brand new
    Cushcore insert brand new
    Cushcore valve stem
    Orange seal
    a hammer
    a mat
    a tire lever
    some lube

https://youtu.be/ZJ1vAvC6dHY
    Instagram

Denver, CO

Mojo Wheels | DirtLabs Suspension | Honey Stinger

Trail Ninja
    Dang, nice job. Makes me wonder how I was using up the 45 minutes that I claimed to do install a fresh set. xD
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    At 5:08 you go off-screen and grab a completed wheel. #conspiracy

Bodhisattva
    Well done.
    I'll bet that the "lube" you stole from work is water based, like KY Jelly

I've been thinking about Cushcore since last year. So serious questions for you:
    1. How does one handle a large carcass tear on trail? I imagine trying to remove the core and insert a tube on the trail would be quite the undertaking, sans KY Jelly

2. I'm on the front range of Colorado - how much beer would it take for you to do it for me?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Well done.

I've been thinking about Cushcore since last year. So serious questions for you:
    1. How does one handle a large carcass tear on trail? I imagine trying to remove the core and insert on a tube on the trail would be quite the undertaking, sans KY Jelly

2. I'm on the front range of Colorado - how much beer would it take for you to do it for me?
    hahaha! I've torn open sidewalls on a couple DD's and the last EXO I used literally lasted about a mile. I've got over 100 miles on Cushcore with EXO tires riding in the desert (phoenix, tucson, sedona) and no issues so far. I think the CC really stiffens the sidewall so tears aren't as much of an issue. I believe if you had to you could probably ride for quite a bit on just the insert. I'd probably throw a couple zip ties around the tire near the tear and ride out on it. My wife is the nurse, I think she's right it's probably water based. I'm sure it would all work the same though.

I'll gladly give you a hand! I'm headed to Salida to ride tomorrow and wednesday but I'll be back that afternoon and I should be around thursday. Might be doing some trail work at dakota ridge.
    Instagram

Denver, CO

Mojo Wheels | DirtLabs Suspension | Honey Stinger

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I had bigger dramas removing the tyre with cushcore installed. Can you do another video showing how you can remove them too....

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Uh, not to be an asshole, but Phil did a follow up vid/review and installed them by hand...even explained the technique to help others. Sans attitude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Uh, not to be an asshole, but Phil did a follow up vid/review and installed them by hand...even explained the technique to help others. Sans attitude.
    Sweet! I only watched his original sorry. It was a little over the top. Maybe he should take it down then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm really glad I had to figure out how to install cushcore.
    Now when I get a really tight tire without cushcore I've got the skills to put it on without big pointy tools.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Sweet! I only watched his original sorry. It was a little over the top. Maybe he should take it down then.
    Haha, Phil over the top? Tell me it ain't so!

But really, I think it's good to see the struggle and rather than take it down he should link to the new one so peole know it's there and can benefit from his experience.

Trail Ninja
    I learned from your vid. It set the bar for my next fresh new CushCore install attempt. The attitude didn't bug me--thought it was just there for humor, or there as a scapegoat for those with fragile egos to hate on.

My first install experiences were on narrow rims, Valor and Haven (21mm ID). Way faster on my latest dry install on a Nox Teo (26mm ID) with a Michelin 2.3 tire, but not 5-7 mins fast. Moving 1 insert from my front 27.5 Valor to the rear of my 27.5+ bike, I discovered that it came out and went in like a tube since it was pre-stretched. It only required 1 side of the tire bead off the rim, and so much of the insert sat hooked in the rim that stretching it on only required a light touch to stretch/stuff it in.

I'm with stupid
    I install it faster than you so nanner nanner nanner...... Skip the hammer and a mat step and install one side of the tire first just like a tube. then put core in the tire on the bottom and hold the tire down and core in the channel with your knee. work the core up like you would a tire then put you hands facing up and fingers away from you, put finger through spokes and grab far side rim with fingertips and push it up and over top of rim with your thumbs. It will save you having to use the lube action and such on one side. I learned this on the after doing it the old way a few times. I was shocked at how easy it went after seeing all the videos of people fighting and complaining.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I actually decided to watch it. My honest feedback? It was a decent (reaction/instructional) vid and the idea of using lube to help seat the bead is good as long as it doesn't react with anything (rims, foam, sealant - follow up vid opportunity?). Railing on someone who had a hard time...a little petty, but whatev. Just know it'll turn some people off. And if you're looking for a career on youtube, they'll ask you to stop swearing or you'll have trouble monetizing...but that doesn't seem to be your goal at present. The end result was I learned something, so it was worth my time. Thanks.
    Last edited by noapathy; 03-13-2018 at 11:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I rode front range for a long time and now live Central coast of CA which is all chunder and sharp rocks. My experience is with first Procore and now cushcore on EXO casings. Basically I stopped getting sidewall tears or pinchflats when using these inserts. So much so that I don't even ride with a tube any more. I carry a few sticky tire plugs and a couple of larger automotive ones just in case. I've had to use them once in 3 years. (I used to get sidewall cuts nearly every month at higher psi.)

Cushcore is the real deal. And yes if you follow the instructions installation is easy. Removal was actually harder (cracked a valve stem) but now that I know how to do it, also easy.

Well done.

1. How does one handle a large carcass tear on trail? I imagine trying to remove the core and insert a tube on the trail would be quite the undertaking, sans KY Jelly

Bodhisattva
    What's the trick to simple tire removal?

Trail Ninja
    What's the trick to simple tire removal?
    Same as usual. Push entire bead into center channel, then lift it over the rim flange.

CushCore isn't any worse than a lightly inflated tube as far as tire removal goes. There's been some blame on CushCore, which I suspect should be blamed instead on a tight tire and rim combo (e.g. Enve rim + WTB tire).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Same as usual. Push entire bead into center channel, then lift it over the rim flange.

CushCore isn't any worse than a lightly inflated tube as far as tire removal goes. There's been some blame on CushCore, which I suspect should be blamed instead on a tight tire and rim combo (e.g. Enve rim + WTB tire).

Yes. The hardest part was getting the tire to unseat from the rim. I had to use thick gloves in order to protect my hand from the tire lever digging into my palm as I put all my weight down onto it to pop the bead.

And I wish I would have known about using a tire lever on the opposite end of the rim to push the bead down my whole life. I've always done this by hand fairly successfully, but holy cow, the opposing tire lever solution is game changing technique for tight tire/rim combos.