mtbr member

How important is tubeless rim strip width relative to rim width?

Like the title says, how important is it that your gorilla tape goes from bead to bead?

Had some leftover 1" Gorilla tape and taped up my new wheels but there was a little gap on either side of the tape. Tires mounted up and popped into place nicely with a tube inside but wondering if I should remove the tape and tires and retape using 29mm cut down Gorilla tape instead to match the inner width of my rims.

Seems like there's a little tolerance according to the Stans recommended rim strips but wanted to check with some of y'all who arent trying to sell me something.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I think as long as the bead seats down on the tape along the bead shelf, you shouldn't have any problems
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

conjoinicorned
    it's supposed to be critical to seal the bead, to have the correct sized rim strip.

i've mounted tires with no strip at all and have held air (i put foil tape squares on the spoke holes)...but i've never gone riding without proper tape....it would seem to me that if the tire holds air then everything should be good to go, maybe the tape will help prevent burps due to tighter fit in the bead hook?
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback.

For reference, this is on Pacenti DL31 rims with a 26mm inner width but expecting that I'd need 29-31mm wide tape to fill the inner channel and run from inside edge to inside edge. Just emailed Pacenti as well to see if the manufacturer has any advice.

Stans recommends 25mm tape for Flow EX with a 25.5mm inner width so I think I'm good to go but a little curious about other other peoples' experience since this will only be my third conversion (and first with TR rims).

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    gorilla tape method the tape does nothing but seal the spoke holes.. doesn't go to the bead... Rims strips like stan's are a diff story (and personally I've found don't work as well and are 2x the pain in the ass)
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    gorilla tape method the tape does nothing but seal the spoke holes.. doesn't go to the bead... Rims strips like stan's are a diff story (and personally I've found don't work as well and are 2x the pain in the ass)
    Tape does go to the bead seat (bottom) of the bead where there is a bead shelf. This is true of Stans, Pacenti, WTB TCS, etc rims. The WTB illustrations clearly show this.

WTB TCS : Tubeless Compatible System
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Yep, got ~1mm gap on either side of the tape. Dont think it'll be a big deal but wanted to throw it out to see if anyone has had issues. I did find a post on another forum from years ago where someone was claiming that the tire bead needs to sit on the tape and that air and sealant was leaking underneath the gorilla tape since it wasnt all the way to the inner wall.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    mine doesn't get close to the bead.. non tubeless anything.. Just gorilla tape and Sealant (caffe latex not Stan's but really no diff) and don't have an issue. Been like that for yrs.

the "systems" Want it to hit the bead but gorilla tape it isn't an issue.. you may get some sealant leakage over the first night but once it gets in all to pores and bumps it's all set.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/