mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Hope Tech Enduro Pro 4 wheels or XM481/DT350?

I'm 140lbs riding a '17 Transition Scout, upgrading to the 2018 which needs boost wheels. Riding mostly smoother trails, medium sized jumps. I've never broken or dented a decent wheel in my life.

CRC has Hope Tech Enduro Pro 4 wheels, about $500 for a wheelset.
    hope enduro¬* | Chain Reaction Cycles

I can get a lightly used set of DT XM481/DT350 for about $450. But they don't come in red

It looks like getting a custom build (prowheelbuilder) is about $650, in which case I could get red Hope hubs, Spank rims.

I've been riding Stans Flow Mk3 and before that Stans Flow Ex w/ Hope front and DT350 rear.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Not exactly apples to apples, but I just put a Hope hoops DH wheelset through hell at Windrock two weekends ago and they were flawless.

mtbr member
    These days, I think we're post-durable. A rim MUST be durable to even be a viable option. We have pro level guys running DH courses on bare rims, its pretty crazy! A rim holding up isnt exceptional these days, its sort of the standard.

Surely the hope hoops are plenty strong... but they're 23mm wide, and 510g. Thats sort of heavy, and sort of narrow compared to whats out there.

I think hope hubs, on DT rims would be pretty cool. Or spanks. I just did easton ARC's. Tons of great options.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've build with both Pro4 and DT350 in 27.5 and 29 using the WTB asym i29 rim, and they are just super strong. That would be my choice again if chosing alloy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    One Pivot, thanks for pointing that out. I was aiming for about 30mm and somehow misread the external diameter (28mm) as the internal. Must have been oggling the red anodizing.

So I guess its down to getting custom wheels or the DT swiss wheels. In red, Prowheelbuilder has Oozy 345 or Spike 33. Both seem highly regarded. The Spank website says the Oozy is for trails and the Spike for freeride/DH. For whatever reason, the Spike are rated at 20 grams less per rim (huh?).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    One Pivot, thanks for pointing that out. I was aiming for about 30mm and somehow misread the external diameter (28mm) as the internal. Must have been oggling the red anodizing.

So I guess its down to getting custom wheels or the DT swiss wheels. In red, Prowheelbuilder has Oozy 345 or Spike 33. Both seem highly regarded. The Spank website says the Oozy is for trails and the Spike for freeride/DH. For whatever reason, the Spike are rated at 20 grams less per rim (huh?).
    Had Oozy Trail 295 prior to my current wheelset and i'm a 220lb guy and have run the 295 on my trail/AM hardtail in parks and they stayed true. If you like the Oozy rims go for the 345. They are nicer dicer 😊

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorjensen View Post
    I've build with both Pro4 and DT350 in 27.5 and 29 using the WTB asym i29 rim, and they are just super strong. That would be my choice again if chosing alloy.
    Thorjensen, any comment on the Hope vs the DT350?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hope has the bling and DT are pretty boring (tho i've put on new hub stickers from Slikgraphics). Building with the two brands was the same. Hope has larger flanges which gives a shorter spoke and therefor a wee stiffer wheel but the Pro4 are heavier.
    I'm a DT man because that have I always been and from the 350 or the 240s I couldn't want more from a hub - i'm not a pro.
    My 350 runs with an upgraded ratchet with 54r and freewheel noice is as loud as the Pro4 but with a higher tone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    For the record, XM481 is 490g vs Spike's 500 and Oozy's 520.

Jensen has the ratchet upgrade for the DT350 for $109. Which puts me close to the same price as getting the custom wheels. I think I'm going custom, just because I want red.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ohh weight.... I don't want to run a ferry but i'm more concerned about durability than weight. Therefor I turned to the asym i29, 522g, which as a bare rim is super stiff. Chosing the 54r was just me being a Joey as I already had both the 18r and 36r as spares.

Regarding weights here are two 27.5 sets I remember the weight from

DT350 boost, wtb asym i29, DT comp, brass nips, 1890g
    Pro4 rear boost, asym i29, sapim d-light, alloy nip, 1930g

mtbr member
    Pro4's are a little heavier... but they're 44pt hubs right out of the box. DT 350's are 18 point, and im not riding 18 point hubs these days. The pro4 was cheaper, looks better, and has more engagement. It was an easy sell for me.

Mudhorse
    Spanks are what the serious street trials riders run because they'll take some serious abuse. Ten-foot drop, rear wheel cased to edge of concrete kerb - Spanks just shrug it off.

I've been running Pro4 hubs F&R the last couple of winter seasons and I'm very happy with them. The Pro2s I had before that were pretty good, but the Pro4s have even beefier axle and freehub bearings and the rear hub has 10% higher POE. The DT Swiss hubs are pretty good too, if you go for the 54 POE upgrade. The 36 POE upgrade is still a fairly mediocre spec, and the 18 POE stock fitment is just having a laugh.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have a DT481 on a 350 hub with a 36T ratchet. It's been a solid wheel, I have zero complaints.

My Hope Pro 4 build has seen a few more miles, but it needs new bearings after 1 year of light trail use. I'm less than thrilled about that.