2010 Glory custom FR

Hope Pro II, DT Revolution and Dartmoor Raider for DH/FR

Guys,
    I am about to build new wheelset for my new Glory. I will have Hopes Pro II, Dartmoor Raider (local brand, light, very cheap and pretty strong) http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/umg.php?m=103 and DT Revolution spokes.
    I used to ride Pro II, Mavics EN321 and Competition.
    I am quite light guy (65-70kg with gear), I ride pretty smooth, I don't plow, I don't go big air.
    A friend told me, that wheels build with Revolutions may be a bit flexy... what do You think about it?
    Thx in advance for advice.
    pozdro
    frango

2010 Glory custom FR
    Anyone?
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    sorry, this sounds insane in context of Glory, FR/DH... that's why

PS I mean DT Revolution

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    DH/Freeride and Revolutions don't mix. I'm a little nervous about them being on my girlfriends bike. She is 120lbs and doesn't thrash bikes either. I let the dealer talk me into it, I hope I don't regret that.
    i ride bikes

transmitter~receiver
    DT Revos are fine for your use. You won't be able to feel the difference in flex and there just aren't circumstances where a Revo will break but a DT Comp won't. There are plenty of people who will express opinions like the ones expressed here, but what you'll find is that there is no objective basis for them whatsoever. No data, no measurements, no analysis, no anything, just an irrational fear that Revos are "too thin" and maybe an "I know a guy who knew a guy who was an experienced racer and said Revos are flexy."
    Revos perform the same in a bike wheel as DT Aerolites or Sapim CX-Rays, which are ridden by downhill racers w/out problems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    DT Revos are fine for your use. You won't be able to feel the difference in flex and there just aren't circumstances where a Revo will break but a DT Comp won't. There are plenty of people who will express opinions like the ones expressed here, but what you'll find is that there is no objective basis for them whatsoever. No data, no measurements, no analysis, no anything, just an irrational fear that Revos are "too thin" and maybe an "I know a guy who knew a guy who was an experienced racer and said Revos are flexy."
    Revos perform the same in a bike wheel as DT Aerolites or Sapim CX-Rays, which are ridden by downhill racers w/out problems.
    I have experience with DT Revos... both front and rear wheels collapsed under lateral load... Just aggressive XC, 190# - go kill yourself

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_k
    I have experience with DT Revos... both front and rear wheels collapsed under lateral load... Just aggressive XC, 190# - go kill yourself
    you're funny. ain't the internets wonderful? i'm calling bullsh!t. your claim is as ridiculous as it is outrageous.
    i am an engineer who has studied bike wheels extensively, knows the properties of steel well, and have analyzed revos vs. other spokes in a number of contexts (doesn't sound like you have read any of my previous posts on this topic). i also ride revos on almost every one of my bikes and have built many, many wheels with them for all sorts of applications. never an issue one.

mtbr member
    you're funny. ain't the internets wonderful? i'm calling bullsh!t. your claim is as ridiculous as it is outrageous.
    i am an engineer who has studied bike wheels extensively, knows the properties of steel well, and have analyzed revos vs. other spokes in a number of contexts (doesn't sound like you have read any of my previous posts on this topic). i also ride revos on almost every one of my bikes and have built many, many wheels with them for all sorts of applications. never an issue one.
    ok... probably I tend to over-build things to make sure they'll last. I just don't see any point in saving few grams on spokes for FR/DH application. And DT Revos require more weelbuilding skills than straight 14g spokes so more likely the result will be weaker wheels .

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_k
    ok... probably I tend to over-build things to make sure they'll last. I just don't see any point in saving few grams on spokes for FR/DH application. And DT Revos require more weelbuilding skills than straight 14g spokes so more likely the result will be weaker wheels .
    over-building ain't bad. as an engineer i do it all the time. in building my house i also did it most everywhere too. I don't have a problem with overbuilding. however, i tend to correct statements that revos are too weak or too flexy or too thin because i know they are not. your point about wheelbuilding skills is valid for sure. i'm not sure i'd take it all the way to the conclusion that weaker wheels are the result, but they do take more time and sensitivity.

2010 Glory custom FR
    Guys, thank U for input.
    I have talked to everal mechanics and wheelbuilders (more and less experienced). I've been also thinking about Sapims CX Ray and SuperComps, but...

Sapims are too expensive and building is tricky.
    Revolutions are expensive and probably not strong enough.
    Super Comps are quite expensive, but stronger than Revs.
    ...and finally Competitions with alu Prolock nipples... good price, good strength.

My wheels should weight under 2000g/set
    pozdro
    frango

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by frango
    Guys, thank U for input.
    I have talked to everal mechanics and wheelbuilders (more and less experienced). I've been also thinking about Sapims CX Ray and SuperComps, but...

Sapims are too expensive and building is tricky.
    Revolutions are expensive and probably not strong enough.
    Super Comps are quite expensive, but stronger than Revs.
    ...and finally Competitions with alu Prolock nipples... good price, good strength.

My wheels should weight under 2000g/set
    Sounds good except for two things:
    Revos can be had for the same price as comps (~$1 per) and they build wheels as strong as CX Rays.

2010 Glory custom FR
    Sounds good except for two things:
    Revos can be had for the same price as comps (~$1 per) and they build wheels as strong as CX Rays.
    Unfortunatelly not where I live :|
    pozdro
    frango

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by frango
    Unfortunatelly not where I live :|
    Good thing Comps are a great choice.