mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Hope Pro Evo II pawl failure? Anyone else?

For the second time I've had a Hope Evo Pro II rear hub fail.(12x142)

In Feb. of this year the freewheel of my hub basically tore itself apart causing all sorts of trouble since it happened on a down hill speed run. Chain wrap resulting in trashed r. Der., chain, and bent the drop out. I noticed a couple hiccups on my ride and ignored it which was dumb and resulted in a lot more damage.

Today on a steep climb I noticed the same hiccups and stopped. Called and got a ride home and took apart the hub. One pawl had snapped in half and lots of metal shavings. This hub replaced the first and had about 2000 miles on it, first hub had about 1100 miles on it.

I run a 2x10 and only XT cassettes, not sure if I'm doing something to cause it but I'm thinking of giving up on Hope.. I am very good with maintenance and change out chains as soon as I see wear. This hub was only 4 months old!

Anyone have similar issues?

mtbr member
    I kept doing the same thing to my bontrager hub. They replaced it several times under Warranty. Finaly I just bit the bullitt and had a new wheel built with a chris king hub. Over 1000 hard mashing miles and no issue at all..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    2000mi in 4 months? 16.7mi/day every day. That's a lot of riding!

local trails rider
    I've heard of pawls broken on Hopes, so got myself a set of spares. My two (non-EVO) singlespeed Hopes have been troublefree for many years.
    (I don't have mileage logs for them, but there must thousands of miles on each)

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

MTB B'dos
    OP, you're putting in a shit load of miles, not sure if all trail, but still a lot of miles and like anything else, hubs do need service/maintenance to. Contact Hope, I'm sure they'll send you out a set of pawls. FYI, I have a set of the old Pro2s and only had 2 pawls go in going on 7 years now, which I consider excellent as it is man made and sh1t happens, metal gets flaws in it.

On your first hub, when you say it tore itself apart, what exactly happened, curious? Guessing it was bearing failure and then it all locked up. Also will say, hope you don't blame the hub/Hope for the damage to the rest of the parts, you got a warning and continued to ride. Not sure what you weigh, but heavier riders have complained some about destroying them, I've had no such issues at riding weights raning from about 175-190lbs.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I ride every day,2 miles of pavement then the rest is dirt. Benefit or curse of living in NorCal, no rain, so trails are always rideable. Lots of climbing but not really technical. I do a min. of 100 miles a week up to maybe 150 depending how I feel. I'm 50 and althoughI don't consider myself fast I am a strong rider, raced crits and TT's in my early years. I am always working on my bike and unless a part fails I can't think of the last time I had a mechanical.

As for the first hub tearing itself apart I am pretty sure it was the same issue. When I opened it up all the pawls but one were broken and the gearing was destroyed. I felt some thing was up while riding but I thought it was my der. I've had a couple XT springs fail on r. Der. No I don't blame Hope for my other parts I should have stopped when I felt something was up. Just didn't want to stop knowing how long a walk I'd have had. I am 6'1 and 200lbs so I know my size can effect parts. I just never have had this happen with hubs and I've ridden since my teens. Who knows maybe it was just coincidence, expensive though...I sent Hope pics and asked if they had any thoughts or suggestions.

MTB B'dos
    Well if you've been at this for so long and did those sort of things, you're prob putting down a load of power and at your weight, you could be too much for the hub. I killed my freehub (bearings and one pawl, hub was over 2 years old, few thousand miles on it) climbing a hill that wouldn't loose traction and in a too hard gear, but just kept balancing and cranking, but I have the original that used 2 small bearings instead of the new roller bearing in the freehub. May be time to look at a different hub, like say a DT Swiss 350.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    LyNx- I think you are prob right, never owned DT hubs but do know they are pretty well regarded. Aside from the hub my wheel is solid and as straight as the day I built it up. Never like re-using rims but seems like a waste not to in this case, probably won't though..

mtbpete
    On a few occassions I've seen the Hope freehub bodies colapse and damage the pawls when one or both of the bearings wear out in the freehub itself. Pulling the freehub off and checking these bearings occasionally may be a good way to provent future problems.

Warrior's Society
    Haven't broken a pawl on the Hope hubs....but did have a spring that disintegrated with less that 1000 miles on it.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    No broken pawls for me but I have broken several of the internal axles that hold the cassette/freehub to the main body of the hub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well I have been in contact with Hope and they are sending me a new freehub and internals for the hub so I'm hopeful it will be all good. I didn't ask for anything so it's to their credit they stepped up, nice to work with a company that knows how to treat customers. We shall see how it goes.

The plus side is they have been very receptive in working with me, I've delbt with many other companies that just ignore...

MTB B'dos
    As I said, excellent customer service, glad as usual they're sorting you out.

Quote Originally Posted by MTB Dad View Post
    Well I have been in contact with Hope and they are sending me a new freehub and internals for the hub so I'm hopeful it will be all good. I didn't ask for anything so it's to their credit they stepped up, nice to work with a company that knows how to treat customers. We shall see how it goes.

The plus side is they have been very receptive in working with me, I've delbt with many other companies that just ignore...
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    No pawl failures in two hubs, but did have a freehub body crack on my 142x12 rear wheel. Swapped to the steel, rebuilt, and haven't had any other issues.

Hope also stepped up for me customer service wise one time. Lost a 20mm endcap c-ring and I swear it vanished, looked for hours for that thing haha. Called thier USA office and was sent a new clip for free and a bunch of stickers at no cost.
    Intense Spider29 / Motobecane FlyTi29

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Dad View Post
    For the second time I've had a Hope Evo Pro II rear hub fail.(12x142)

In Feb. of this year the freewheel of my hub basically tore itself apart causing all sorts of trouble since it happened on a down hill speed run. Chain wrap resulting in trashed r. Der., chain, and bent the drop out. I noticed a couple hiccups on my ride and ignored it which was dumb and resulted in a lot more damage.

Today on a steep climb I noticed the same hiccups and stopped. Called and got a ride home and took apart the hub. One pawl had snapped in half and lots of metal shavings. This hub replaced the first and had about 2000 miles on it, first hub had about 1100 miles on it.

I run a 2x10 and only XT cassettes, not sure if I'm doing something to cause it but I'm thinking of giving up on Hope.. I am very good with maintenance and change out chains as soon as I see wear. This hub was only 4 months old!

Anyone have similar issues?
    Could be unrelated, but do you have a steel or alloy freehub?
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I had a lot of issues w/ a Hope ProII on my fat bike. Switched out to white industries and I9 hubs and have had zero issues. Riding that often, I would invest in either a CK hub or maybe give onyx a shot?

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I had a lot of issues w/ a Hope ProII on my fat bike. Switched out to white industries and I9 hubs and have had zero issues. Riding that often, I would invest in either a CK hub or maybe give onyx a shot?
    I have had great success with my Onyx hubs. I have a lot of customers on them and have not heard a single complaint.

Instant engagement, completely silent when you coast. Its a pretty cool change from loud hubs if you are wanting something different.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

May contain nuts
    Ten years on Hope Evo hubs with only a couple of broken pawl springs. I clean and lube freehubs once a year. Been excellent hubs but I also like my 240s

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    At 200lbs and 100+ miles a week (so jealous!) I'd go with King. Their Ring Drive mechanism is just bomber and well proven. How many other brands of hubs do you hear people riding the same hub (the exact same hub) for over a decade?

MTB B'dos
    Approaching 7 years on my Pro2s
    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
    At 200lbs and 100+ miles a week (so jealous!) I'd go with King. Their Ring Drive mechanism is just bomber and well proven. How many other brands of hubs do you hear people riding the same hub (the exact same hub) for over a decade?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Dusty duke 22- alloy hubs but I learned fast to dump SRAM cassettes. I am very diligent with maintenance and noticed the damage the SRAM cassette caused. I actually bought a new freehub body on my first hub 2 months in after seeing how much it was chewed by the SRAM. Since then only XT cassettes and still using alloy.
    I may go with King, never owned their hubs, only a couple headsets on other bikes. I know their headsets are fantastic. My mt hubs have been Shimano until I jumped to Hope. On road bikes I've used White,Campy,Am Classic and Shimano.
    I will rebuild the Hope once the parts show but may buy something before since I'm on the stock Bonty wheel that came with the bike. I don't love the Bontrager but it's nice to have a back up.