mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Hope Pro 2/Mavic 717 vs Cobalt vs Fulcrum RM Zero

Been wondering is it worth changing my present wheelset (Hope Pro 2/Mavic 717 and DT rebo) to either a Cobalt or a Red Metal Zero. I read a lot of negative review on the Cobalt hubs, any revision done on the design? The 2010 Red Metal Zero looks decent but double the cost of the Hope wheelset.

Former Bike Wrench
    Any tubeless ambitions?

If so you might go with a Stans Crest rim instead of the XC717

Cobalts are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, FUGLY. Don't know much about the Fulcrum's other than there is a lot of proprietary (Cobalt's as well) parts going on there. Might be hard to get simple parts like spokes if you have an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Fulcrums have a much wider rim that will hold wider tires better. They are also UST rims as opposed to the 717 which is a skinny clincher that is labeled as holding maximim 2.1 tire.

I have a set of Red Metal 3's and they are bulletproof. No reason to go with RM0's because the weight you save over the price increase isn't worth it.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildeyes View Post
    No reason to go with RM0's because the weight you save over the price increase isn't worth it.

Actually the 2010 RM 0 is quoted at 1.6Kg as opposed to the Hope/Mavic717/DT revo at 1.55Kg (50g less), theres no weight saving. Only the bling factor and the UST.

mtbr member
    Going to proprietary junk is never an upgrade!

You'd probably appreciate a good rim change, something wider more stable. Its the cheapest option as well, and easily the best choice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by magixuser View Post
    Actually the 2010 RM 0 is quoted at 1.6Kg as opposed to the Hope/Mavic717/DT revo at 1.55Kg (50g less), theres no weight saving. Only the bling factor and the UST.
    Well, I was saying the RM0's are not worth the extra money you pay over the RM3's. I paid $350 for my RM3's, and they blow the 717 rims and those Hope hubs away because I have a set of those as well and they suck. That little extra weight you whine about is centered in the hub, and it really isn't that big a deal though you will spew it over the internet that it is a major factor.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

:\ ping of death

New question here.

Well, I was saying the RM0's are not worth the extra money you pay over the RM3's. I paid $350 for my RM3's, and they blow the 717 rims and those Hope hubs away because I have a set of those as well and they suck. That little extra weight you whine about is centered in the hub, and it really isn't that big a deal though you will spew it over the internet that it is a major factor.
    What year are your RM3's? I'm looking into buying a set but want to make sure the front can convert from 9mm qr to 20mm thru. And the front can convert from 10x135 qr to 12x135 thru or 12x142 thru.
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

wyrd bi ful rd
    I could be wrong but I think the Fulcrum hubs do not come in 12x135mm bolt thru.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    As said above, skip the Fulcrum Zero's. The threes offer UST and are much stronger than the Mavic 717 rims. If you like your hubs, you might consider rebuilding them with Mavic 819's if you like UST or one of the plethera of good rims from DT Swiss, Stans, Velocity, or the others for non UST. Depending on your riding, you will probably like a 19-23 mm internal rim width better.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    chillax bro, im not here to argue im just asking for opinion. Will take a good look at RM 3 wheels too...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by magixuser View Post
    chillax bro, im not here to argue im just asking for opinion. Will take a good look at RM 3 wheels too...
    Bro, have you get Fulcrum at the end? How's the wheel set performance?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by samuel1996 View Post
    Bro, have you get Fulcrum at the end? How's the wheel set performance?
    I bought the CrankBrothers Wheelsets,
    An Iodine for the El Guapo. It feels much stiffer than the Hope/Mavic 819 Disc it replaced.

And Cobalt for the Mach 5, for my next bike project. But still unfinished though, waiting for the Revelation XX fork..

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nice bike, bro!

I had changed my original DTS 445 to Fulcrum Red Metal Zero XRP yesterday ^ ^ will bring her for a ride today..

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Wow Samuel 1996...you must have one tall garage door!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Haa.. That's my car porch