Hope Pro 2 Evo 2013 freewheel sound vs. previous years

I know this has been beaten to death because I have been reading up on it. Looking at a wheel build... and going back and forth on doing a nice ano Hope Pro2 Evo rear hub or a polished White Industries MI6. We all know the Hope's are noisy... BUT... I've read a few posts scattered around the interwebs that says the "new" Pro 2 Evo's are much quieter than previous Pro 2 Evo's? Can anyone clarify this, and how much quieter are we talking? Compared to?

It would be cool if anyone had a side-by-side video of a previous Pro2 vs an "updated" one

mtbr member
    July-ish of last year Hope toned down the strength of the pawl springs to make the hub a bit quieter. The difference is noticeable but not huge, basically it's gone from AK47 right behind your head to AK47 a couple of streets away.

Of course if you replace the grease with gear oil it goes right back up to ninety decibels like before.

Good analogy.

So basically:
    Pro2: AK47 up to ear
    Pro2 Evo pre-2012: AK47 behind head
    Pro2 Evo after 2012: AK47 a couple streets away

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just got a set of Hope2's with Stan's rims off of Wiggle and I was prepared for really loud hubs. They aren't that loud at all. A bit louder than a normal hub, but not obnoxiously loud. There are several trails I ride that are multi-use, so I appreciate the buzz to warn hikers ahead of time. Don't even need to say anything now, just start coasting and smile and say thanks when I go by.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I actually like the noise. Reminds me of an old set of Machine Tech hubs I had a long time ago. I would ride around going Vroom, vroom. Takes me back to when I was a kid and riding my bike.

mtbr member
    I find them obnoxiously loud. I'll be investing in the lighter springs if they make a kit available.

Question for spade - I've run heavy grease in my hub for a while now (hoping to quiet it down), is gear oil a better lubricant for the hubs?

Re: Hope Pro 2 Evo 2013 freewheel sound vs. previous years

I read the new 40pt engagement 2014 versions will be quieter again. They should sound good now for people that like to hear them and tolerable for those who don't.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Good analogy.

So basically:
    Pro2: AK47 up to ear
    Pro2 Evo pre-2012: AK47 behind head
    Pro2 Evo after 2012: AK47 a couple streets away
    I guess it's all relative. I have bought some Pro2 Evo mid-last year, and while they are louder than Shimano or DT hubs, I don't think they are that loud. Loud enough to remind me to stop coasting, loud enough to remind the person in front of me that I am coasting behind them, but not obnoxiously loud.