mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Which Hope II Hubs for my Bike?

Hello MTBR.

I'm about to buy some custom wheels from Merlin's Cycles (unless anyone has a reason why I shouldn't), and I need to know what measurements to get for my bike and to accommodate a future frame/fork upgrade.

I currently ride an Airborne Zeppelin Elite with 9mm QR front and rear (double check for me? Airborne Bicycles. Zeppelin Elite), but in the future I may want to increase my front axle size by getting a new fork and also I will probably be upgrading frames at some point. I've heard about the benefits of having a maxle up front and that sounds like a good idea to me.

Is there any way I can upgrade to a maxle type hub and use it with my 9mm QR on the current system through some sort of conversion temporarily?

Also, what dimension of hubs should I buy?
    You can check out all the dimensions here: Mountain Bike Disc Wheels | Merlin Cycles

Just click the front/rear Hope 26" wheel links.

Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    Buy the ones that fit the bike you have now (so Q/R front and 135mm Q/R rear).

Hope pro 2s can be converted afterwards to pretty much any standard by the use of adapters, which cost about 15 per set. If you get a new fork with a different axle in the future, that's the best way to do it, fitting new axle adapters is extremely easy (most are just push fit) and they fit any year/size of Pro 2.

transmitter~receiver
    What Spade said.
    I'd also add that your wheelbuilder should help you with this and make sure you get what's going to work for your needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Buy the ones that fit the bike you have now (so Q/R front and 135mm Q/R rear).

Hope pro 2s can be converted afterwards to pretty much any standard by the use of adapters, which cost about 15 per set. If you get a new fork with a different axle in the future, that's the best way to do it, fitting new axle adapters is extremely easy (most are just push fit) and they fit any year/size of Pro 2.
    And there is no 9mm rear axle. The standard 135 QR is 10mm.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common