mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Hope Hubs - Replacement Bearing Options

I need to replace the bearings on my Hope Pro 2 EVO Hubs. I've been using Enduro ABEC5 bearings, but I want to try something different as I've had a set that had some play.

Where I am it's not easy to get "Hope" bearings.

I can get SKF. My questions are:
    1) Should I get stainless bearings?
    2) What seal type should I get? 2RZ or 2RS1?

Thanks

damned rocks...
    As far as I know all SKF are stainless, but I can be wrong, so make sure they are and always get stainless bearings for your bike.
    You should get RS1 or 2RS2, they have better sealing, the RZ is non contact shield, they roll better but have poor sealing if any at all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Stainless steel is great but if you ride in drier conditions and/or clean your hubs periodically it isn't necessary. Enduro are fine bearings but I'd go for SKF or EZO if available.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    As far as I know all SKF are stainless, but I can be wrong, so make sure they are and always get stainless bearings for your bike.
    You should get RS1 or 2RS2, they have better sealing, the RZ is non contact shield, they roll better but have poor sealing if any at all.
    They do make stainless and regular. Buying them is always tricky though so I'm not sure what retailers are carrying.

damned rocks...
    I completely forgot that they do more than stainless bearings, my bad.
    If you check theirs designation charts you will see that "W" prefixing the bearing reference indicates that's stainless steel, so for a 6803 bearing, you should search for W6803 2RS.
    I think other brands also use the same designation, but you should go case by case.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Last night I analyzed a brand new set of Enduro bearings that I had. I could wiggle the inner race a bit, as if the bearings were worn. I'm thinking this is not normal, and thats what causing the play in the hub.

So today I ordered a set of SKF bearings. I went chromium steel for the main hub bearings and stainless (designated with W) for the freehub, 2RS1 seals. I just couldn't get the 17x28x7 bearing in SKF, F--A--G (haha, it was automatically changed to ***), NSK or simmilar quality brand.

I should have them next week and will compare the play vs the Enduro bearings.

Thanks all for the answers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sancycling View Post
    So today I ordered a set of SKF bearings.
    Would you mind detailing the sizes, part #s and where you ordered from. I want to record this now for when I need to get some.

Thanks.

damned rocks...
    Last time I replaced my rear hub bearings I replaced the ones in the hub with SKF ABEC 3, and the ones in the freehub with Enduro ABEC 3, the feeling between the two is so different that isn't even funny. But I didn't notice any difference in play.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Pro 2 Evo hubs are notorious for bearings flogging out quickly. I've tried pretty much all the brands in mine and genuine and they all die prematurely. Just buy what's cheapest and stock up on them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Pro 2 Evo hubs are notorious for bearings flogging out quickly. I've tried pretty much all the brands in mine and genuine and they all die prematurely. Just buy what's cheapest and stock up on them.
    Kept blowing the inner freehub and inner shell bearing on my Pro 2 EVO, would not last more than 500 miles.

Replaced all bearings with Enduro MAX (35-40% more load capacity) and they have been fine now for over 1500 miles. They are "not recommened" for hubs, but work great and spin great.

https://www.endurobearings.com/products/bearings/max/

mtbpete
    In my experience Enduro chromoly are the best option for Hope hubs. I'm surprised you had play in your hub. I would only expect noticeable play from a totally failed bearing. Even very worn cartridge bearings have not exhibited play in my experience.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post
    Would you mind detailing the sizes, part #s and where you ordered from. I want to record this now for when I need to get some.

Thanks.
    I ordered them from the a local shop (in Mexico City) that supplies the bearings for the factory I work for, so not much help there.

Here are the part numbers
    Front Hub
    (2) SKF 61804 2RS1 (chromium steel)

Rear Hub
    (2) SKF 61903 2RS1 (chromium steel)

Freehub (only for shimano style FH and Pro2)
    (2) SKF W 61803 2RS1 (stainless)
    (1) SKF does not make this one, size needed is 17x28x7. Enduro makes a stainless version ABEC3 of it that if I can't source it locally, I'll give it a try.