Thread: Hope Hubs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Hope Hubs?

Evo Pro 2 Hope Hubs....I'm thinking about buying a pair. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've been running Hope Pro 2 hubs for 5 years and a set of Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs for a few months and they've been great. The hubs have really good engagement, convertible to all of the standards and super easy to maintain. Hope is a great company to deal with as well. You won't be disappointed, that's for sure.

JP

mtbpete
    They are one of the most durable hubs you can buy. Large stainless steel bearings throughout.

turtles make me hot
    Great hubs.
    I like turtles

beater

Hope Hubs?

I think they're good hubs, are adaptable, come in lots of colors, relatively light, easy to maintain, and affordable. But as a heavier rider (~230 lbs) who does a lot of granny gear grinding climbs, I have broken a freehub body and blown apart a couple of the cartridge bearings in a year. Hope's customer service is pretty good, and they replaced the alloy freehub body with a steel one at my request. The guys at my LBS shook their head at the abuse I've given that hub, so my experience might be an outlier.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thank you all---I'm going to go ahead an order a pair.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was suprised at how much bigger the bearings were then let's say a ZTR house hub or American Classic hub.

I'm really glad I have a set of the Hope Pro 2 EVO for the 6" travel AM bike instead of the ZTR hubs.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I have a set on my DH bike and a set on my 5" bike. I give them a B+. You will notice the difference if you pay up for a Hadley or King. However, at their price point the hope is the best.

Main issue with the 20mm front hub is the conversion caps. I much prefer a hub built specifically to the spec I need. Caps are a bit of an annoyance when removing the wheel. And the hope caps have a bit of metal on metal contact with the bearing seats. Grinds just a bit when you spin them in your hand. Perhaps not a major issue on the bike but I like silky smooth bearing action.

the rear hub: only complaint is the engagement. It is clunky. not on par with a hadley or chris king. of course Hope is about 1/2 the cost and lighter.

check out chainreactioncycles. they seem to have the best pricing on hope hubs.
    Last edited by RTM; 05-27-2013 at 08:03 AM.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin