mtbr member

Hope evo II phenomenon

About a year of use and many miles of flawless performance and suddenly there is a problem. Rear hub started to " stick" and when coasting the pedals would cycle and back pedaling would cause severe chain slack.

Searched the forums and YouTube - some videos by the UK guys are good but hard to understand the "kings English "

Anyway, most of the info suggested taking everything apart and cleaning/re greasing and re-assembly. I do most of my own maintenance but didn't want to screw up an expensive hub so took it to the LBS. To their credit they did a great job of taking it all apart, cleaning, lubing and assembly but still no change in performance. While I was there we took it down again to recheck all the parts. Seals, bearings, washer, pawls, and everything looked and felt good but after reassembly there was still that "sticky" performance Figured I would contact Hope for support the next day but wanted to go for a pm ride as the local trail is in epic shape.

Long story made short-after 10 miles of single track riding the hub is back to usual perfect spinning. Classic Hope sound, freewheeling like a champ and absolutely no sticky stuff. Pedals don't move when coasting and no chain slack when back pedaling.

Apparently the hub "healed" itself? Just wanted to share my experience. Maybe just taking everything apart and cleaning/ lubing the internals was the fix but pretty weird how it didn't spin perfect until after a ride and not immediately after reassembly.

Anybody have a similar experience?

mtbr member
    It takes a little bit of working to squish the grease around.

One of the huge benefits of the hope hub is how easy it is to service it at home. Its really something you should be doing regularly, its quite easy. You'll get much more life out of it, and its about a 10 minute job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    It takes a little bit of working to squish the grease around.

One of the huge benefits of the hope hub is how easy it is to service it at home. Its really something you should be doing regularly, its quite easy. You'll get much more life out of it, and its about a 10 minute job.
    Absolutely, I do mine every 100 miles or so. I can have it done in an hour, or three beers.
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    ya, I pull mine apart about 2x a yr. thinking of that.. it's kinda time
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/