mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Hope Bulb Rear Hub question

I inherited a wheel with a bike, the bearings are shot and I plan to replace them. I have a bulb rear, how do i get the axle out? should tap from the non drive side? so far it seems pretty seized, any ideas?

≈ > ♥
    Remove the freehub body, and tap the axle out from non-drive side...
    The axle just sits on/between the two bearings; you have to remove the axle from both bearings. Tapping the axle on the non-drive side will make for an easier removal, though you can do it from either side. Then remove the drive side bearing from the axle once the axle and bearing are free from the hub body, and remove the non-drive side bearing from the hubshell.

You want to make sure you are tapping just the axle, and not the bearing, to remove the axle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    yup, tried that, its seized on the bearing. I don't want to hit it too hard. Anything I can soak it in?

mtbr member
    PB Blaster, from your local autoparts store (Napa, Kragen, Autozone etc) Give it a good soak, leave overnight, give it a firm tap and they should just pop out. If it doesn't shift then soak again, leave for a few hours and try again. I've never had the stuff fail on me yet