mtbr member
    Feb 2008

hope bulb hub won't fit in drop out. why?

so my younger brother gave me a nearly new Hope Bulb rear hub that he lost the pawls from. i order new ones and got the hub working correctly again. last night i laced it into a ditch witch rim with some straight gauge spokes and brass nipples. i went to put it in my drop outs and it wouldn't go! what the ....? it turns out that the portion of the hub axle on the disc brake side, that fits into the drop out is a larger diameter than the drop out. why would it be like this? the cassette side fits in the dropout.

this causes problems getting it into my dropouts (though i could just file the drop outs a bit) obvioulsy.

but it also means that when i trued my wheel it was sitting in the truing stand crooked.

enlighten me.

why is like this?
    what did you do / suggest to correct it?

thanks,
    Eric

"El Whatever"
    Get a new axle and call it a day... You will have to remove some bearings to do the change, though.

Or verify dimensions on either side and have machined the ends that's oversized... but I'd just swap the axle.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm having difficulty accessing the Hope website, but apparently the rear hub can be configured with either standard quick release axles or 12 mm ones. Since you replaced parts on the cassette side, and are having problems with only the non-drive side, I'm thinking maybe what you had there originally was a 12 mm axle. Seems unlikely, but just throwing out ideas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

hopw hub fixed

well the parts i got were only the pawls and the spring. i didn't get anything to do with the axle. and it wasn't even that much larger.

it's fixed though. i know machining the part would have been ideal.....but i used a file. i just filed down that part, using a small fine file and calipers to check my work. so it's all good now.

it's still weird that it was like that.

thanks for the input.
    Eric