Trail Tire TV on blogger

Hope 20mm hub weather issues..

first off, I LOVE my hope hubs,.. strong, decently light, reasonable price, bla bla bla..

just recently got a new manitou Tower Pro Fork with 20mm thru axle, that is sweet, got the end caps for the hub,.. everything smashing and actually LOST weight on the bike by going 20mm over the old Reba fork.. (hub end caps lighter, axle included in fork weight, loss of the brake adaptor and bolts = lighter by like 20 grams )

anyway, to the point... it's winter out, and after just one ride in the snow, the front hub was close to locked up.. Come to find out it's the spring clip that holds the end caps in the hub are rusted to crap... the tolerances between the cap and the clip are tight enough so when the clip rust swelled enough that it would drag on the end cap.

any ideas other than just soaking in grease or oil. was easy enough to clean the rust off but not taking the whole thing apart after ever single ride.. Anyone else have this issue? Going to contact Hope, but was wondering if anyone else here has the issue and/or a fix?

and no, I wont be just leaving the clips out, if something happens on the trail and I end up loosing one of the caps... just not worth it. and it's just hacky anyway to do that.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aloha,

I don't know off hand right now because I'm away from all of my sources but maybe there are stainless steel clips around? I know it's not a definitive answer but hope that helps.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Aloha,

I don't know off hand right now because I'm away from all of my sources but maybe there are stainless steel clips around? I know it's not a definitive answer but hope that helps.
    ya, was thinking the same thing.. asked Hope.. waiting for answer back from them...

thinking I can go to the hardware store and ge a washer of stainless that's the right thickness ans diameter and just cut out a notch... kinda disappointing as the cost for the end caps is kinda ridiculous for pretty much 2 tiny plastic cones and the clips...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/