mtbr member

Homemade spike tires

Hey,

I'm thinking to do from my used Conti X-King spike tires. Any did something like this before and can share your experience?
    Signature

mtbr member
    I did a few years back with some bontrager acx's. I used #6 3/8" screws and put them through the tread blocks. Not all of them, but alternating or every third...I don't remember. Lined the inside of the tire with a couple layers of duct tape and took them out a couple of times. Worked great on ice, but around here the trails are usually snowpacked and so no real advantage there. They felt liked they weighed a ton too. If I was somewhere with more ice, I think they would have been pretty awesome.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    I did a few years back with some bontrager acx's. I used #6 3/8" screws and put them through the tread blocks. Not all of them, but alternating or every third...I don't remember. Lined the inside of the tire with a couple layers of duct tape and took them out a couple of times. Worked great on ice, but around here the trails are usually snowpacked and so no real advantage there. They felt liked they weighed a ton too. If I was somewhere with more ice, I think they would have been pretty awesome.
    Don't use duct tape...it weighs a ton

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by CSC View Post
    if you're filling your tire with 100 screws, does it really matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member

ha ha, it was actually gaffer tape which "felt" a little lighter. I think the screws were the worst of the weight.

cuz everything is better with pictures......

Homemade spike tires-084-1024x768-.jpg

Homemade spike tires-085-1024x768-.jpg

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    You don't have enough screws in those tires to make them feel super heavy...how much tape did you use? After a layer, the rolling weight will feel pretty big.

And yes, it does matter. A Nokian snow tire has 2-3 times as many screws, and they sell like crazy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This is what I use to use on the motorbike when I lived in MI, and IL. They seemed to work best with a little bit of annealing before installing into the tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBM View Post
    This is what I use to use on the motorbike when I lived in MI, and IL. They seemed to work best with a little bit of annealing before installing into the tire.
    Forgot the link...

https://koldkutter.com/catalog/produ...36a96b99ce0d0e

mtbr member
    You don't have enough screws in those tires to make them feel super heavy...how much tape did you use? After a layer, the rolling weight will feel pretty big.

And yes, it does matter. A Nokian snow tire has 2-3 times as many screws, and they sell like crazy.
    I used two layers...the last thing I wanted to do in the dark and 0 degree temps was fix a flat because a screw backed out a little and rubbed a hole in a tube.

I put less screws in the rear than the front, figuring that would still work for drive traction (it did). And really, the tires weren't THAT heavy, but it was enough to definitely be noticeable.

I think the box of screws was a couple dollars, and I used a pick to punch through the blocks to the inside (one at a time) and then I would start the screw from the inside and it would just follow the hole made by the pick with the point coming out of the block. Good way to kill time while watching a football game.

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBM View Post
    Yup. Heating them makes them harder (though more brittle). I have heard of people using an old inner tube to protect the inflated one from punctures...you could also try a tire liner, though I'm not sure how wide they are.

Not trashing duct tape, by the way. Good stuff. I'm just saying look for some lighter-weight alternatives. Good luck!

mtbr member
    it looks like you put very little of screws. was there enough of them?
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by painless View Post
    it looks like you put very little of screws. was there enough of them?
    I think so. Though it may be hard to tell, the front tire always had at least 3-4 screws in the snow/ice all the time. I think the rear was 2. If I did it again I'd probably use less. But again, around here I haven't found too many places where it is really an advantage. For something like a frozen lake, maybe it could use a few more? Wouldn't be to hard to experiment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have one tire that I spiked the bejeezus out of (150ish 5/8 carbide sheet metal screws in a 26 x 2.0). It's heavy, and doesn't really offer any greater benefit than the tire with half that amount of screws in it. Like johnnyspoke said, though, more is better on sheer ice.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I made a front tire using the Kold Kutters this week. I used an old Gazzaloddi Jr tire (2.6") and 200 Kold Kutters. I ordered the shortest ones available (3/8"), but I still had to cut the tip using a dremel after I installed them. To avoid puncture I put some gaffers tape on the inside of the tire. The grip on hard snow and ice is insane.

This is the result:

mtbr member
    ^^^^^^^ Whoa! Nice. Now that looks awesome!

mtbr member
    that looks beefy
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    VERY NICE neonstz! Once you get the grip dialed in you'll love it!

saddlemeat
    One of the slickest setups I've seen is to use a 1/8" leather punch, push/force car tire studs through, line with a mr tuffy strip. Not the cheapest but will last a long time for commuting.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

I like bikes
    Couldn't you use some Stan's(or other sealant) and run them tubeless, like studded ATV and Dirtbike tires? I think that would work fine, No?

mtbr member
    Did it to my tires. Tried today on hard snow and iced trails, worked superb. Probably Nic has too much spikes on side, but as for the first time, it's ok. If I do it again, would put less spikes maybe.

Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 & Maxxis High Roller 2.1 piercing

Signature

mtbr member
    Nice!