mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Home-made snow/stud tires - how do I do this?

Hello all: Winter is here (there has been snow in my back yard for a week now), so I'm gearing up for another season of chilly street riding/commuting on snowy and icy roads again. For the past two winters I've ridden a hardtail with Nokian Jr's (26x2.6). They're really worn now, with just a hint of knobs left in the center. I live in upstate NY.
    First question: to those who have ridden studded tires, do you like 'em? will they get ruined if I ride them on the road when there's no snow? Will you use them again?
    Second question: how do I make these old monster tires into true snow franken-tires with studs? Do I just drill some 3/4 inch stud screws through the back? Do I need to use duct-tape to cover the heads so they don't pop the tube? A step-by-step would be helpful.
    Thanks for any suggestions - Kelly

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

homemade studs

studding your own tires is a lot of fun, i think. personally i feel little difference between factory made and my homemade studs, but that's just me.

it's pretty straight forward.

drill holes in the knobs you want studs in, drilling from the outside in.

Take machine screws no more than 1/8 taller than the knob and screw them from the inside out. i prefer using screws that are 1/16th taller.

I try to find screws that have a mushroom or rounded head as opposed to a flat head. as the flat headed screws move they can pinch through a tire liner, the rounded heads stay put.

use an old tube cut open to form a liner between the screw heads and the inner tube. use duct tape if you need, don't if ya don't.

the galvanized screws are cheap and work well, but don't expect to get much more than a season out of them. stainless steel holds up better, but about twice the price.

if you have access to a drill press it can make the initial step go a lot faster.

hope that helps.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontgothere
    Hello all: Winter is here (there has been snow in my back yard for a week now), so I'm gearing up for another season of chilly street riding/commuting on snowy and icy roads again. For the past two winters I've ridden a hardtail with Nokian Jr's (26x2.6). They're really worn now, with just a hint of knobs left in the center. I live in upstate NY.
    First question: to those who have ridden studded tires, do you like 'em? will they get ruined if I ride them on the road when there's no snow? Will you use them again?
    Second question: how do I make these old monster tires into true snow franken-tires with studs? Do I just drill some 3/4 inch stud screws through the back? Do I need to use duct-tape to cover the heads so they don't pop the tube? A step-by-step would be helpful.
    What the other fella said and it's all in my FAQ
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thank you boyh very much for the help

What a great resource these forums are - an ideal use for the internet, other than for marketing. MikeT - I used your FAQ this spring to build a wheel for the first time - it was an old xt disc hub & a well used Rhyno Lite rim, but it is still working, even with my 235 lbs dropping to flat! In MikeT's FAQ, though, it says don't even think about riding on the road - must home made studded tires be reserved only for icy/snowy conditions? How strict is that admonition? Thanks again for all of your help - I'm going forward with the project this weekend! - Kelly

willtsmith_nwi

I found this the other day ...

Doing some research on winter riding. It seems that road riding with plain steel studs will wear them down rapidly. Nokian uses Carbon steel studs that aren't bothered by pavement.
    http://www.icebike.com/Equipment/StudQuality.htm

Winter Tire roundoup
    http://www.icebike.com/Equipment/tires.htm

Bikeman's wide selection of studded tires
    http://www.bikemannetwork.com/Mercha...ode=COMPTRSTUD

A wheelist
    What a great resource these forums are - an ideal use for the internet, other than for marketing. MikeT - I used your FAQ this spring to build a wheel for the first time - it was an old xt disc hub & a well used Rhyno Lite rim, but it is still working, even with my 235 lbs dropping to flat!
    That's good news! I re-built a rear wheels for a local heavy-boy about 5 years ago and forgot all about it. I met him again this spring and he said it'd never been touched since it was built and he'd tortured that poor sucker. It's all in the correct tension and even tension.

In MikeT's FAQ, though, it says don't even think about riding on the road - must home made studded tires be reserved only for icy/snowy conditions? How strict is that admonition? Thanks again for all of your help - I'm going forward with the project this weekend! - Kelly
    Factory studded tires use carbide studs - just like studded car tires - and these wear much better than plain screws. Home-made ones won't last long on paved roads but then they don't cost nearly as much nor give you the same "I made 'em" feeling. But then a box of replacement screws is only a couple of bucks.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.