mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Highest volume, low tread 29er tyres - speed and comfort on dirt roads

Looking for some recommendations for a 2.4 Ardent sized tyre with a relatively tough casing that works tubeless, with a fast-rolling tread. Good for dry dirt tracks, nothing really technical, mud may be an issue but I can't use a proper mud tyre so it'll be a problem whatever I use.

Geax Saguaro tread looks good but they're pretty average sized. Conti Race King 2.2s are high volume for such a fast tyre, but the tread's maybe too minimal.

I'm not aware of anything that matches up here, anything I've missed?

This is for a long dirt-tracks ride where comfort is really important. I'm sold on volume+low pressure over light weight. They'll be used tubeless on P35s. I wonder if my worn-down Ardents may be the best bet!
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I know - this is not exactly what you want: the Kenda Happy Medium. The 29in size is only 2.1.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I need a high volume fast tire too.

Subscribed.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Racing Ralph 2.35" - Has the volume, fast tread, not supreme toughness but 100-150grams lighter than anything else. What kind of toughness do you need for dirt tracks? Are there really that many sharp objects that could cut the tread or sidewalls?

Geax AKA 2.2" TNT - Volume (way bigger than a Race King), fast tread AND protection.

Maxxis Ikon 2.35" EXO - Fits the bill too, but not available yet.

Bontrager has a real big low knob 2.35" 29-2 and a 2.3" 29-3 which has a bit more tread. The TLR versions offer good protection.

Specialized has their Renegade tire in a 2.3" version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

..that'd be ideal, will keep a look out. Had good results from the Specialized tyres but limited availability of some sizes here (

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by james-o View Post

..that'd be ideal, will keep a look out. Had good results from the Specialized tyres but limited availability of some sizes here (
    I saw these in stock at the Maxxis online store just yesterday.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post

Geax AKA 2.2" TNT - Volume (way bigger than a Race King), fast tread AND protection.
    Is this a fact? I remember my RKs were definitely large, haven't read that about the AKAs. Does this hold for the non-TNT version of the AKA as well?

I'm looking for a fat, fast front tire for this summer, looking at the RaRa 2.35, Ikon 2.35, etc

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm in the same boat...Anyone have experience with the Bonti 29-2? How does the volume compare to and Ardent or Saguaro?

Formerly of Kent
    Not sure if the 29-0 is the same, but my XR-0 2.1 (same tire, but 26") on my 26" FS was bigger than my RoRo 2.25. Fastest tread I've used, high volume, surprisingly grippy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Is this a fact? I remember my RKs were definitely large, haven't read that about the AKAs.
    I have not got them anymore, so no possibility to put some calipers on them. Twentynineinches.com reported them to be true to size, as well as Velonews.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Does this hold for the non-TNT version of the AKA as well?
    Don't know, but TNI.com reported the TNT as the larger one, with 56,5mm from sideknob to sideknob.

KLF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by james-o View Post
    Looking for some recommendations for a 2.4 Ardent sized tyre with a relatively tough casing that works tubeless, with a fast-rolling tread. Good for dry dirt tracks, nothing really technical, mud may be an issue but I can't use a proper mud tyre so it'll be a problem whatever I use.

Geax Saguaro tread looks good but they're pretty average sized. Conti Race King 2.2s are high volume for such a fast tyre, but the tread's maybe too minimal.

I'm not aware of anything that matches up here, anything I've missed?

This is for a long dirt-tracks ride where comfort is really important. I'm sold on volume+low pressure over light weight. They'll be used tubeless on P35s. I wonder if my worn-down Ardents may be the best bet!
    Thanks
    Ah! The search for the Holy Grail!

Add a 2.4" Conti X-King to your short list. Heavier and fatter than a 2.2 Race King (typically +3mm on the same rim), rolls VERY well and is actually quieter on pavement than the RK.
    Not quite as large as a 2.4 RaRa which is another good option. That is both fat AND light
    If comfort is a goal, you want a supple casing (also helps with rolling ease), but that may conflict with your goal of "toughness."

I, too, await the Maxxis Ikon 2.35" which I expect will be another good option for Fast and Fat, Lithe and Light.

mtbr member
    Also consider Specialized Renegades or Ground Controls in 2.3. Also the Fast Trak in 2.2.

Different tread patterns depending on just how fast rolling/unaggressive you are wanting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Highest volume, low tread 29er tyres - speed and comfort on dirt roads

I have a Bonty 29-3 (last year 's tread pattern) on the front of one of my 29ers and a Saguaro TNT on the back. Both have good volume for their size and both are fast rolling. Way bigger than, say, Conti's supposed 2.2 and 2.4 tires.

I am running both tubeless and they seem to have good durability. Exploring other Geax tires now because I am so pleased with the Saguaro.