mtbr member
    Sep 2006

High volume replacement for Fire XC pro's?

My Panaracer Fire XC Pro's are starting to wear out and it's time to look for a replacement. I'd like a 2.4"-2.3" tire that corners like the Fire XC (nice and predictable transition into a drift on most surfaces) but isn't a boat anchor. Trail conditions here are usually dusty on top of hardpack with plenty of rocks and roots thrown in. Tubless isn't an option.

U $ 4 O?

Panaracer

Quote Originally Posted by AlienRFX View Post
    My Panaracer Fire XC Pro's are starting to wear out and it's time to look for a replacement. I'd like a 2.4"-2.3" tire that corners like the Fire XC (nice and predictable transition into a drift on most surfaces) but isn't a boat anchor. Trail conditions here are usually dusty on top of hardpack with plenty of rocks and roots thrown in. Tubless isn't an option.
    Give the Rampage a try, good tire and sounds like what you're discribing.

I've tried the Fire xc pro and they're small so might check clearance on your bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Well after a few days of research and not being able to narrow down a prime candidate, I decided to go a different route.

My main problem with the Fire XC's was that they performed best for me at 35psi, it just so happened that running em that low always ended with a pinch flat at my local trails. So I had to run 40psi.

Well after doing some research I said F it and decided to try Ghetto tubless. I already had one UST Fire XC laying around and so a trip to the LBS for another Fire XC UST some Stan's sealant and a trip to HD for some Gorilla tape I was off to experimenting.

The 1" wide Gorilla tape fit my Mavic 521 rims perfectly, so the rims got taped up and some old tubes were put on an alter and sacrificed to the trail god in a very bloody and raucous ceremony. And no, no lambs were harmed in the process. So I mounted the tires up and added the sealant, went over the compressor and had no trouble getting em inflated. There also appear to be no leaks either.

Hopefully this solves my flat tire woes with my favorite tires and air pressure.

I'm tempted to to try this with some regular Fire XC's to save some weight, but I'll see how well the current setup works for now.

Former Bike Wrench
    You'll have your best luck with UST or Tubeless Ready tires on a Ghetto system. Some standard tires work well and some don't (which you often find out when they blow off the rim!).

If you want to shave a little weight check out the Tubeless Ready models that use a UST spec bead but a lighter casing that seals up with the sealant. At this time Panaracer isn't making tubeless ready but several other brands are such as Bontrager, Specialized, Schwalbe, Geax, Hutchinson, Continental, WTB, and now even Kenda.

The Specialized Ground Control would be a great replacement for a FireXC and a lot lighter while still being tubeless ready (called 2Bliss).