Giant Robot

High Roller UST replacement

I've been using Maxxis Highroller UST 2.35 Super Tacky tires on the rear for several years. Of course, Maxxis stopped making the 2.35 in ST maybe 2 years ago, and replaced them with the less sticky "LUST" version. I've tried the LUST Highrollers a few times, and had a lot of durability problems with them (unfixable punctures after 2 weeks, even while running 35psi, etc.). The 2.5 version is still available in ST, but weighs literally a pound more (I've tried it and its noticeable). None of this mattered too much, as I'd found a source for the old style ST 2.35s online. That source, however, has now dried up....

So, I'm auditioning for a Highroller replacement. This will be mounted on a Turner RFX and used for aggressive trail or "all mountain" (or whatever the industry calls it this week) riding. I'm looking for a rear tire in the 2.3-2.4 size range, preferably UST compatible or at least beefy enough to be run tubeless reliably (will be mounted on a Mavic 823 rim). I climb as well as descend, so I'd prefer that it not be super, super heavy (the older, heavier Highroller 2.35 UST weighed around 900-950 grams). I'm around 200lbs with gear, and apparently pretty hard on tires and rims. I live in Socal (dry and loose, loose over hardpack, rocky conditions), but I'll be moving back to North Carolina in Dec. I felt the Highroller worked well in both places, so any tire that does that is bonus.

Thanks!
    "Dada, you have an Owwie"

mtbr member
    ive gone thru a few tires this year including high rollers. in terms of handling and grip the high rollers are the best. heres some thought on the AM tires ive used over the last 10 months:
    1. Nobby Nic UST - fast and fairly grippy. wears quickly tho
    2. High Rollers - great grip a not super fast but not painfully slow either
    3. Conti Mountain King UST 2.4 - i find this to be an average tire - grips fairly well but is damn slow.
    4. Specialized Captain Control 2Bliss: slighly below average grip but the fastest rolling of the bunch. however, this is the tire most likely to get a catastrophic sidewall tear.

29 some of the time...
    I dunno, the LUST HR 2.35 is a pretty good tire for most conditions. But I too have been on the lookout for alternatives. Hard part is finding other tires of similar design. Once you get used to how hard the HR sideknobs dig in it is hard to want to ride a lesser tire. Here is what is highest on my radar:

Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 UST

Continental Rubber Queen 2.2 UST

Since you are running 823 rims you have a bot more flex to try bigger volume tires. The HR2.35 is closer to a 2.1 in terms of real volume. Since you have a wide rim and it is going on a big trail bike I would probably be looking at:
    Maxxis Minion 2.5 UST
    Continental Rubber Queen 2.4 UST
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 (not UST, but runs well tubeless anyways)
    Kenda Telonix 2.4 (not ust, so tube req'd)
    Kenda Excavator 2.5 (not ust, tube req'd)
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just to throw out another option, although there has been some good advice posted, I have heard some good talk about the new Geax Dhea. Looking at it, it has a tread pattern that is very similar to the High Roller. It's available as a TNT (tubeless ready), Tubeless, or two different tube versions. They make a 2.3 and a 2.5. As mentioned above, the 2.35 HR is on the narrow side for a 2.35. Geax tend to be a little larger. I have a pair of 2.5 Lobo Mas Locos. They are closer to a 2.7 Maxxis. They don't have a compound that's quite as soft as the Super Tacky though. I have not been impressed with the Lobo as a front tire as it sucked as a steering tire on slick surfaces (lateral grip), but as a rear it wears well being slightly harder than the Maxxix ST stuff. It also performs well in terms of braking and accelerating grip from wet to dry in my experience. The Dhea should hook up and roll very similar to the HR, but wear a little better than the Super Tacky compound.

I also like the newer Continental stuff, particularly the Black Chili compound. It's nice and soft, really grippy, but it's supposed to wear a lot better than the ST compound. I jut mounted up a set of 2.5 Der Kaisers, so we'll see. The Rubber Queen might be a good tire for you. They make a 2.2 and 2.4 UST. Both are high volume. The 2.2 will definitely be as big or bigger than the 2.35 HR. the 2.4 is as big or bigger than the 2.5. Only the 2.4 RQ gets the Black Chili though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i have a pair of highroller ust supertacky hanging on my wall. they need a good home. thier in good shape if your interested i can snap a few pics?