mtbr member
    Jan 2004

High quality low weight XC hubset without $$$ price?

Maybe it is a case of "you get what you pay for" but I'm looking for a hubset to be used on a XC bike. I'm 170 pounds, ride in dry climates and not a jumper or big brutal torquey pedal smasher if that matters. They will be built locally by a great trusted builder with outstanding after-build service.

I'm also on a budget and somewhat of a weight weenie....two things that don't go together. I can't afford the likes of I9 or Chris King, I don't need super cool colors or buzzing sounds, but I've gone down the road of XT (heavy) and lighter hubs which eventually crapped out too soon. Rims will be Crest, nipples alloy and lighter spokes to achieve a total weight of around 1550 grams. Was hoping to save some money on the hubs and not paying for bling or status would be the ultimate goal.

Will XT still be the best in terms of durability and cost?
    I hear good things about DT but my small knowledge is on two ends: heavy and inexpensive (the 370 on my Giant) or light/serviceable/expensive of the 240?
    Having said that I'd like quality in the 15mm TA front and 135 rear.

Former Bike Wrench
    You can look at the new imported DT 350 hubs, same star ratchet system as the 240 (the 370 is NOT star ratchet). The Stans ZTR hubs are a solid 3 pawl, 30 poe hub and has lots of axle options as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If you don't mind prebuilt hoops you might want to consider Hope Hoops Pro3 SP XC6. Rider weight limit is 85kg (= 187 lbs) according to Hope, so you should be covered. Quoted weight 1463g per set with Crest. Trusted Pro2 mechanism inside, so durability shouldn't be an issue. Click-ety loud though, in case you don't like the Hope hub sound.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hope Pro 2 (~$300 for the pair from CRC), ~495g. Great durability, sealing, 24 POE. Loud.
    WTB Laserdisc Lite (~$350) ~430g - not in the same league seal and durability-wise as Hopes or 240s, but for a light, affordable hubset they're an option worth considering. Is this primarily a race-day wheel, or everyday? Big miles would steer me away from these hubs.

-Eric
    Last edited by eric1115; 08-08-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: fixing error/typo

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Try WTB hubs, they are light and affordable.
    Only drawback is its bearings, they choice stainless steel bearing for their hubs.
    Stainless bearing is not as durable as carbon steel version, but do not rust.
    If they wear out, just replace them with Japanese carbon steel bearings, last a lot longer and cheaper.
    Or you can get Enduro ceramic bearing if you can afford.

jx

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1115 View Post
    Hope Pro 2 (~$300 for the pair from CRC), ~495g. Great durability, sealing, 24 POE. Loud.
    WTB Laserdisc Lite (~$350) 330g - not in the same league seal and durability-wise as Hopes or 240s, but for a light, affordable hubset they're an option worth considering. Is this primarily a race-day wheel, or everyday? Big miles would steer me away from these hubs. Low engagement, too, at 12 POE if that matters to you.

-Eric
    12POE, are you sure?
    I count 24POE.
    And it's more like 430g.
    I like it low noise freehub.

jx

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lorteti View Post
    12POE, are you sure?
    I count 24POE.
    And it's more like 430g.
    I like it low noise freehub.

jx
    Good catch; you're absolutely right. CRC listed it as a 12poe hub, and I fat fingered the weight. Thanks for keeping me honest!

Former Bike Wrench
    Good catch; you're absolutely right. CRC listed it as a 12poe hub, and I fat fingered the weight. Thanks for keeping me honest!
    It's a little confusing because they are 6 pawl and each pawl has two rows of teeth...so there is 12 points of contact at one time. However the the freehub body has 24 teeth so your Points of Engagement is 24.

They are good light hubs, but I'd still put the DT 350 above (especially with the 36t star ratchet upgrade) them for just a little more $$.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It would be my 3x per week wheel.
    That LOUD is kind of a turn-off in my book.

Thanks to all for the good info!

WTB Laserdisc Lite (~$350) ~430g - not in the same league seal and durability-wise as Hopes or 240s, but for a light, affordable hubset they're an option worth considering. Is this primarily a race-day wheel, or everyday? Big miles would steer me away from these hubs.

-Eric

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have the Hope Pro 2 (Sapin laced to Archs), and like 'em. But I like the loud hubs. On the rare event I catch up to anyone on the trail, I like to let them know I'm there.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Same boat. Looking for an upgrade over XTs, but dont want to break the bank or sound like a swarm of bees.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Try the Pure XCR wheels from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. I've had a set for nearly 2 season now and nearly 4k miles. They were $275 shipped.

mtbr member
    I have SRAM X9 hubs that are SILENT!

Mine are white and are currently laced to Mavic 521's; but I think I'm going to lace them to Stans Archs in the winter.

Front is 165g
    Rear is 385g
    SRAM X9 Front Hub | SRAM

From the limited research I've conducted the weights are pretty decent; the front is comparable to Stans the rear is a little heavier (100g)

Outside outfiters has them for a GREAT price:
    SRAM X.9 (V2) IS 6-Bolt Disc Hubs - Outside Outfitters
    $36 front, $59 rear
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have an X9 rear hub. It is very quiet, nice and smooth, but engagement is SLOW compared to most other hubs. I think it's around 12 POE. Most reasonably good quality hubs are 2-3 times faster, and some are more like 6x faster. If you ride mostly open, fast trails shouldn't be a huge deal, but if you're in a short gear trying to finesse your way up a chunky climb you'll wish for faster engagement. I definitely notice the difference vs. my King hub on my other bike. They are a good value, though, for a quality but basic hub.

-Eric

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ticctacc View Post
    If you don't mind prebuilt hoops you might want to consider Hope Hoops Pro3 SP XC6. Rider weight limit is 85kg (= 187 lbs) according to Hope, so you should be covered. Quoted weight 1463g per set with Crest. Trusted Pro2 mechanism inside, so durability shouldn't be an issue. Click-ety loud though, in case you don't like the Hope hub sound.

Good luck.
    The bearings are junk in these hubs, I'd stay away.

I'd go with ZTR hubs, very light, engagement isn't too bad, and mine were pretty reliable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Went through their site but should take another peek.

Quote Originally Posted by EricD4 View Post
    Try the Pure XCR wheels from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. I've had a set for nearly 2 season now and nearly 4k miles. They were $275 shipped.