mtbr member
    Mar 2005

High frequency vibration in rear crossmax wheel, please help!

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping some of you wheel gurus can help identify this:

The wheel is a CrossMax ST 2008. I've used it for about 2 years. Just today I noticed an intermittent vibration coming from the rear wheel. It is a high-frequency vibration (not from a wheel/tire wobble). It feels like all of a sudden I'm riding on monster tread tires and it's like I'm feeling the treads vibrate, but I know its not the tires. The vibration is not there most of the time, but then every couple of minutes it will violently vibrate for 2-10 sec.

The only think I can think of is the hub bearings are going bad or loose. Does that sound right? All my testing was on flat pavement without braking and without touching the drive train.

Thanks,

Jonas

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks Jacobus. So I take it the loose freehub bushing causes the whole hub to get loose and then cause bearing vibration? Is this an easy DIY project? I've never taken off a freehub before (but have replaced cassettes before).

mtbr member
    If the freehub body (or the cassette) wiggles, then the bushing might be worn. If there seems like there is excessive resistance when turning the freehub backwards, then the bushing and freehub needs to be serviced. You only need a 5mm and 10 hex key to service the freehub (I think).

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    That vibration is the Mavic hub bearing is toast, opposite the drive side. Get only the OEM Mavic bearing, with the orange grease seals. As for the freehub bushing - don't get it from that eBay seller....the aftermarket bushing is nowhere near original Mavic tolerances, and will bind the freehub(push bike and the pedals spin, with no clicking sound).
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"