mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Help! Wheelset Overload!

In the market to buy some wheels for a new Blur TRc, but there are so many choices! I've been running 240s on 5.1 rims for past 5 years with no issues. I weigh 165lbs and am an intermediate rider but regularly ride advanced stuff. Money is not a major concern, but I don't want to get carbon or something just for bling's sake. I also haven't really noticed the difference in POEs. I want reliable wheels that are low maintenance without special tools, wider internal width than my current setup, easy to set up tubeless, and able to take up to 2.4" tires. Also, since I'm lightweight and don't do big drops regularly, I'd like to get something under 1700g.

I was planning on getting 240s with Flows EX rims, but am also considering Hadleys, which are cheaper but weigh more. Then I saw the i23 rims, which weigh a bit less and may be more durable, but the internal width is 23mm instead of 25mm. Then I saw the I9 Torches, which seem to be lightest and should be great, but they're new and untested, and they also have special spokes. Then I thought, why not just get the Flows EX wheelset, since it's so cheap. Then I saw the Pacenti TL28 rims, which are light and seem good, but people are saying that it's more of an XC rim....but if you build these with 240s, I think you can get a wheelset for about 1500g. Finally, as far as I can tell, DT Swiss and Mavic rims are out because they don't seem to have the internal widths that I'm looking for for their "trail/AM" wheels.

So, what do you recommend:

Hubs: Hadleys vs. 240s vs. ???
    Rims: i23 vs. Flows EX vs. TL28 vs. ???
    Wheelsets: Flows EX vs. Torch vs. some mix of the hubs/rims above vs. ???
    Last edited by LowLow; 02-12-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: shortening post.

mtbr member
    You've got great hubs now and a very good, reliable rim. Your hubs are very lightweight, and those rims really arent especially heavy or anything (~500g).

You'd save 220g going with pacentis, which is a pretty significant loss. 110g per wheel. You'd probably notice the bike accelerates better.

But going from an alu rim to an alu rim, theres no free ride. Those WILL be less stiff and less durable! Theres only so many places to shave weight off a wheel.

DT hubs are excellent hubs. The major downside is their low POE. If you arent bothered by that, by all means stick with your hubs! Those are great pieces.

The i23's would fill a lot of your requirements, but you'd save about 100g. The extra width alone might be worth it for you though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    You've got great hubs now and a very good, reliable rim. Your hubs are very lightweight, and those rims really arent especially heavy or anything (~500g).

You'd save 220g going with pacentis, which is a pretty significant loss. 110g per wheel. You'd probably notice the bike accelerates better.

But going from an alu rim to an alu rim, theres no free ride. Those WILL be less stiff and less durable! Theres only so many places to shave weight off a wheel.

DT hubs are excellent hubs. The major downside is their low POE. If you arent bothered by that, by all means stick with your hubs! Those are great pieces.

The i23's would fill a lot of your requirements, but you'd save about 100g. The extra width alone might be worth it for you though.
    Thanks for the great points. Just to be clear, I'm planning on getting a new wheelset because my current ones will stay on another bike. So I'd be getting a new set of 240s.

I don't mind the low engagement because I mostly climb fireroads. My current 240s I have 36t, but I haven't noticed much of a difference between the 18t and those. Given this, do you think I'd notice 72 POEs? Also, any thoughts on the Torch hubs?

As far as the i23s, it sounds like people are liking them a lot, but even after reading a lengthy thread on it on this site, I'm still not really clear why/if they're any better than the Flows. They're a bit lighter and there's some discussion about them being stiffer and easier to build, etc., but if 23mm is good, isn't 25mm better? Also, wouldn't I only save 50 grams with the i23 since according to the website they're 475g and the 5.1ds are 500g?
    Last edited by LowLow; 02-13-2013 at 09:40 AM.

mtbr member
    I23's are UST compliant, which means they'll work properly with basically all the UST compliant and tubeless-ready tires on the market (theres been some odd-ball ones that dont work right.. but thats uncommon). This is a huge huge plus to have a tubeless setup thats actually designed for tubeless tires.

Stans rims arent UST compliant, and will not work properly with all the tubeless tires on the market... which kinda defeats the purpose. Stans rims are a ghetto tubeless setup designed to convert normal tires to tubeless, which works most of the time. Stans rims can also lose tension with certain tires, or be damn near impossible to mount up, depending on your setup. Lots of incompatible stuff, lots of what-ifs. They work well for lots of people, but a lot of tires will be off limits to you, and trying new gear can be a total crapshoot.

Stans also uses cheap asian hubs and charges an insane markup on them. Not that they're bad hubs, or that theres anything wrong with asian sourced hubs... but the premium they charge for a stans sticker on asian hubs is nuts. If you insist on stans rims, id use any other hub on the market and buy them rim only.

I notice a big difference between 18 and 36pt. Feels less sloppy to me, i like more engagement. Its nothing really serious, but it just feels more fun to ride on. 72 is basically instant engagement... its not a huge deal either way, but most people appreciate the faster engagement. No input on i9's stuff... i was a little turned off by the TINY parts on their normal hubs though.

gio
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Arch ex, dt comp spoke, 240s with 36t upgrade. That should do it nicely

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I don't have a lot of experience with wheelsets, but I'm extremely happy with my Flow Ex wheelset. I went with the Stan's HD 3.30 hubs. So far the hubs are great and the wheels turn freely with no drag. The rear hub is a little loud for my taste, but some people like that.

If you want to run big tires, these rims are nice and wide which gives you a little extra tire volume, and helps reduce the chances of the tire burping. They are a little heavier than an Arch, but I feel better running a wheel that is stronger than I need.

So far I've been running a Hans Dampf front, Nobby Nic rear, both tubeless, and they have worked flawlessly. Even when I've let the tires get low and felt them squirm on a hard landing, they've never burped. It is a bit difficult to get the tires on the rims, but really that is a good thing.

I bought mine on fleabay for $420 shipped IIRC. I think they would have been $550 from the Stan's site.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It sounds like you are leaning towards the lighter of the wheelsets. I would build up the Pacenti with your DT240's and a ratchet upgrade. Those should be nice and light. This setup will be my next wheelset when I am able to finally get a short travel 27.5.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the information all. I'm leaning towards One Pivot's suggestion (240s with i23s) especially because I think that'll be the most durable/reliable, but it may end up being a game-day decision.

Save Jesus
    I agree with One Pivot regarding i23 vs flow rims. As you can tell by the green squares, we are both reputable posters and our opinions are highly valued.

MarkyMark
    I'm in a bit of the same situation. I'm going to build another set of wheels and am looking at hubs. I already have 2 wheelsets with the DT 240s. They're light, strong, and have been bulletproof, but I'm thinking about getting something else.

I'm leaning towards Chris King right now mainly because they're proven, top of the line quality, and I don't have a set of them. It'll be my first wheelset with a high POE so I can see what it's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post
    Hubs: Hadleys vs. 240s vs. ???

mtbr member
    Cant really go wrong with a king. Its a ridiculous high quality hub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So, as far as my situation goes, I went into my LBS ready to ask them about the Torch wheelset, TL28s, etc. etc. Then I saw that in their clearance room they had a rear wheel with 240s (12x142, 36t) laced to i23 rims with 14/15 gauge spokes for $285! Seemed way too good to pass up, so I ended up getting that and will build my front wheel the same way. The rear wheel is 890 grams so I think the full build will be about 1680g.

mtbr member
    Good catch! Thats a crazy deal. Good idea to pluck all the spokes like a guitar and make sure they sound the same (left and right will have a different pitch, but all lefts and all rights should sound the same) to check for even tension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the tip. I don't know much about wheel-building, but I actually have a truing stand and tension meter (TM-1) that I use for maintenance. I checked the tension on the spokes and all of driveside spokes' deflection readings were between 22-25, which corresponded to 110-125 kfg. The non-drive side was a bit more off. Most of the spokes were between 12-15, but there was one at 10 and a few above 15. Seems okay, right?

mtbr member
    Too far off for my tastes... on a DB 14/15 spoke I like everything to be 1 or 2 numbers off on the park gauge max, worst case. Ideally more around 1. 10-16 is a pretty wide spread, cant say I like that.

Thats at a high ~59 kgf, and at a low, so low that its off the charts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The new Hadley 13.1 marking on hub for 2013 are lighter than the old. They say will be as light as CK. Much less rolling resistance than CK or DT, super easy to service and customer service off the charts good. Better pricing also, but harder to get. The newer 13.1 are just coming out. I have the 12.0 marking with Pacenti TL28 with 10mm thur bolt.

There anodizing process is the best, no fade nice deep colors. The red is beautiful !!!

Stans finish is slightly better than Pacenti and the stickers on Pacenti fade over time.

Stans Flow ex, Sapim CX Ray spokes with Hadley hubs would be a great wheelset !!!

I just ordered a set of new i9 Torch 29er lefty, silver rims purple hubs and spokes 32 hole, I'll see how they stack up against the Hadley/Pacenti with DT swiss Aero Comp spokes. Don't wast your money on the DT Aero Comp spokes like I did. Get the Sapim CX Ray. I should have listen to someone I forget who about the Aero Comps. They just an over priced Comp spoke with no weight savings or added strength. My 2 cents!!