mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Help...should I repair rim or leave alone...

Shown here is a small dent/flat spot on the edge of a STANS Olympic ZTR rim, right where it hooks with the bead. It's about 15mm long (1/2 the width of my pointer finger), and indents about 1mm in.

My question is: Should I try and bend it back out to improve the connection between the rim and the bead of the tire? (will I damage the rim if I try and bend it back?) (I run tubless non-Ust Mountain Kings 2.4 if that matters), or should I just try and seat the tire as is, hoping enough stans will seal this shut?

Unfortunately I DON"T know if this has affected the seating before I had this rim rebuilt. I was having trouble sealing this rim, but I just don't if it needed more time/sealant or if it was truly a mechanical issue of not being able to seal.

Any thoughts would be great..thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help...should I repair rim or leave alone...-adent.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I wouldn't trust...

the wheel to be run tubeless again. The key to running any tire/rim combination safely tubeless is the integrity of the bead hook on the rim. Even if it does seal up, I would find it hard to trust the ability of the deformed section of rim bead to grip the tire bead securely. Attempting to bend it back would be chancey. Any tool used to correct the bend would likely deform the bead further. I would recommend relegating this wheel to run tubed only. If you must run tubeless then I'd say try it and see, but at your own risk. I would be extremely cautious with it until if proved out to be secure. That's if you can get it to seal up. If it doesn't work as is, then I doubt if it would work if you tried to "repair" it. But you'd have nothing to loose at that point.

Personally I would replace any rim that I run tubless that had bead damage like that. It's just too risky. Your call.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Oh god that's barely there...... I've had much worse dents in the rim with stans - all have held air and with me going hard for the period I didn't know they were there too.
    A small shifter spanner is your friend here. Just tighten it enough to be snug on the rim, then gently bend outward. It won't be perfectly straight again but very close.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"