mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Help replacing my Bontrager 29 tires

Hi. Iíd appreciate your help and comments for replacing my original Bontrager 29er tires on my Trek mtb. I want good quality new tires.
    I usually ride my mtb in dry dusty trails with lose rocks during weekends. Sometimes i use my mtb for short afternoon rides on the road. I rarely ride in mud or snow and i never participate in competitions. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Maxxis Forekaster 2.35 up front & Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2 out back.

Both in EXO casing, TR (tubeless ready) if you're so inclined.

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Bontrager makes some great tires. XR2 or XR3, or XR3 front and XR2 rear could work very well for you depending on the riding conditions.
    Do the math.

MTB B'dos
    I agree with LR, and say why not stick with Bonti, was there something you didn't like about the particular model you have? No one's really going to help with answers if we don't even know what your previous tyres were/are. If you want a bit of an XC setup, but still want some grip in front, then I'd suggest XR3 in the rear and XR4 in the front, this will give you a front that will work well in the trail conditions you describe and the XR3 rolls quite good on pavement.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I agree with LR, and say why not stick with Bonti, was there something you didn't like about the particular model you have? No one's really going to help with answers if we don't even know what your previous tyres were/are. If you want a bit of an XC setup, but still want some grip in front, then I'd suggest XR3 in the rear and XR4 in the front, this will give you a front that will work well in the trail conditions you describe and the XR3 rolls quite good on pavement.
    Bontragers served me well. The main reason iím looking for new tires is that my original tires are worn and I donít really know how good or bad Bontis are compared to other tires. I never had other tires. My original Bontis are the first and only tires Iíve ever had. Thatís why Iím looking for some advice and comments. Also, I mainly shop on Amazon and Bontis are not as common as other brands (maxxis, schwalbe, continental, etc.)
    Thanks for your help !

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bontrager makes different levels of tires. You'll have a hard time finding a better tire for your mentioned conditions than the 'Team' version of the XR 2 2.35. 120 tpi and long wearing . . . and just now available for $54 -no supply all last year.Help replacing my Bontrager 29 tires-p1070734.jpg

This tire will perform really well with a 35-40mm inner rim wheel at low pressures front and rear. 690g.

MTB B'dos
    Which ones do/did you have, that would help people give you better recommendations? Seriously, you've not given very much info to help with suggestions, is it a HT or FS, do you charge at everything or pick careful lines...?

Honestly, Bonti makes some great tyres, just as you say, not something you can buy anywhere besides your local shop or from their site, so not as popular. I'd say if you have the room, maybe a Maxxis Ikon 2.35" for the rear in DC and a Forekaster 2.35" or the new Rekon 2.6" for the front in 3C, TR/EXO if you run tubeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Juancts View Post
    Bontragers served me well. The main reason iím looking for new tires is that my original tires are worn and I donít really know how good or bad Bontis are compared to other tires. I never had other tires. My original Bontis are the first and only tires Iíve ever had. Thatís why Iím looking for some advice and comments. Also, I mainly shop on Amazon and Bontis are not as common as other brands (maxxis, schwalbe, continental, etc.)
    Thanks for your help !
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Maxxis Forekaster 2.35 up front & Maxxis Ardent Race 2.2 out back.

Both in EXO casing, TR (tubeless ready) if you're so inclined.

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    Thanks for your help. Whatís the effect of that tire combination. Why u recommend different tires for front and rear. Sorry for my ignorance, just want to learn.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Juancts View Post
    Thanks for your help. Whatís the effect of that tire combination. Why u recommend different tires for front and rear. Sorry for my ignorance, just want to learn.
    More aggressive tire up front, quicker rolling in the rear. Rear end slides are easier to recover from. You can run the same tire f/r too.