mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Help - replace bearing or just new wheel

Picked up a used 2013 Kona Unit. Steel, fun geometry, single speed. All good stuff except the wheelset is driving me nuts, especially the rear. Tons of drag on the with generic Formula hubs (no model number info). I'm no wheel expert so i'm soliciting advice.

The front is cup-and-cone. I loosened the cone a bit and it does fine now. It'll spin a couple of revolutions with a light flick.

I figured the rear would be the same. Nope. Turns out its a cartridge bearing. When I rotate the hub by hand, it feels like sand paper. The amount of force that spins the front wheel for many revolutions barely gets 2 revolutions out of the rear. Also, all my other wheels will rotate backwards as they slow and settle to point where the valve is at the lowest point. This rear wheel never rotates back as it slows. Just stops. Brakes are not rubbing.

Does that mean the problem is just the cartridge bearing? Could that rough feeling and high drag be caused by anything else in the wheel? I'd hate to order new bearings, have them pressed in, and find out the wheels still don't spin. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Can you take the wheel off the bike and open the hub up to turn the bearings by hand? It should be pretty easy to do and then you'll know for sure whether the bearings are bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Yep, crap bearings. But I already put the hub back together. Any chance that there is a single standard size for cartridge bearings? Or do I need to take it apart again to take measurements?

mtbr member
    I'd take it to an LBS and see if they can identify what bearings you need and order them for you.

Sweater

Quote Originally Posted by Spillway View Post
    Yep, crap bearings. But I already put the hub back together. Any chance that there is a single standard size for cartridge bearings? Or do I need to take it apart again to take measurements?
    I'll clean and regrease the cartridge bearings on occasion. BB, pivots, Headset, hubs. Sometimes the metal gets pitted and they're never quite the same. Most times they're almost good as new.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle