uav2man
    Mar 2013

Help please....mtbr guru's of wheels

Original owner of my 1997 Trek UAV IIhybrid. In love with this mechanical miracle from Trek that Don Myrah co-designed. It's a 22" frame w/ Matrix Cosmo, 32 hole rims, housing DT Competition stainless steel, 2.0mm double butted spokes w/ brass nipples. Front hub is a System 3 Suspension. My dilemma is when replacing worn cassette and chain my LBS noticed movement in the front hub. Tried to tighten it then rigged it saying it was shot on its way out. I love and tip my LBS's but really need your advice. This is my baby. I live in Florida and commute/ride every where. My ride is rain, sand, dirt, & heat. This gem of a System 3 Suspension front hub lasted for 16 years man. what do I do cyclers. Need the most weather-proof comparable quality of wheel Trek sold me. Can I replace the Hub only, the Bearings, or the whole wheel?

mtbr member
    The hubs say "System 3 Suspension", but I would be surprised if there was anything special about the hubs. Most likely a cup-and-cone bearing design.

"Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's

If I'm right about the front hub, you should be able to take the hub apart and remove the loose ball bearings. Once you've got it apart and cleaned, you'll want to inspect the bearings, races, and cones for an wear. If the races are in bad shape, you probably wont be able to save the hub. Cones might be hard to find also. Ball bearings can easily be replaced.

Worst case scenario would be you'll have to replace the front hub (and likely the spokes), which would probably mean that a new front wheel would be cheaper.

But definitely check the hub bearings, races, and cones first. Did your LBS not give you these options?

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Hub Overhaul and Adjustment
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Help please....mtbr guru's of wheels

Quote Originally Posted by uav2man View Post
    Original owner of my 1997 Trek UAV IIhybrid. In love with this mechanical miracle from Trek that Don Myrah co-designed. It's a 22" frame w/ Matrix Cosmo, 32 hole rims, housing DT Competition stainless steel, 2.0mm double butted spokes w/ brass nipples. Front hub is a System 3 Suspension. My dilemma is when replacing worn cassette and chain my LBS noticed movement in the front hub. Tried to tighten it then rigged it saying it was shot on its way out. I love and tip my LBS's but really need your advice. This is my baby. I live in Florida and commute/ride every where. My ride is rain, sand, dirt, & heat. This gem of a System 3 Suspension front hub lasted for 16 years man. what do I do cyclers. Need the most weather-proof comparable quality of wheel Trek sold me. Can I replace the Hub only, the Bearings, or the whole wheel?
    System 3 was the Trek house brand (Matrix, too). Nothing special about the hub or rim.

Do not remember if the hub is loose ball or cartridge bearing, but if you trust your LBS and they say it is dead, it probably is not repairable.

I would replace the wheel. You have many, many choices for hubs and rims. Again, you do not need anything special, considering the wheel has lasted 16 years. I was lucky to have rim brake road/commuter rims last 6-8 years in harsher wet Oregon before the brake track wore through.

Trek was also producing that basic frame long before they sponsored Myrah.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

uav2man
    Mar 2013

Thanks man.

Thank you bholwell. It's a sealed hub and I'm gonna buy a wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    The hubs say "System 3 Suspension", but I would be surprised if there was anything special about the hubs. Most likely a cup-and-cone bearing design.

"Performance" Hybrids/Early 700c MTB's

If I'm right about the front hub, you should be able to take the hub apart and remove the loose ball bearings. Once you've got it apart and cleaned, you'll want to inspect the bearings, races, and cones for an wear. If the races are in bad shape, you probably wont be able to save the hub. Cones might be hard to find also. Ball bearings can easily be replaced.

Worst case scenario would be you'll have to replace the front hub (and likely the spokes), which would probably mean that a new front wheel would be cheaper.

But definitely check the hub bearings, races, and cones first. Did your LBS not give you these options?

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Hub Overhaul and Adjustment