Huckin' trails

Help pick a durable XC hub set

Hi, what would be your hubs of choice for a XC wheelset with carbon rims, 28/24h that will be a set and forget solution on a bike that won't see much abuse and not hosed down, but a lot of miles ?

Trying to keep it around $150 or lower, in standard 135x10 and 100x9 QR's.

I'm leaning towards XT/XTR for durability, but they are pretty heavy too. I heard Novatec hubs are great, but that they require yearly bearing replacement or such.

I'd like to use the stiffest skewers available too, I think DT Swiss RSW would be good ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    If you're looking for durable and set and forget, 24/28h is completely the wrong direction. go 32/32. You'll have very few hub choices going away from 32/32, shimano is out completely.

The RWS skewers have a lot of reliability issues.

Former Bike Wrench
    Using 24h front and 28h rear leaves you with very few disc hub options. It leaves most of the major brands out of the loop. You can find some OEM and off brand stuff on ebay such as this set
    Monkey Super Light CNC MTB Hub DISC 115g & 277g 24h 28h BLK - HDW | eBay

I have no idea of their durability though.

You'll have a lot more options with 32h rims

mtbr member
    Your wheel also wont be trashed if you bust a spoke. You can ride out 32h's with a broken spoke, 24's arent gonna happen.

Huckin' trails
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of going with carbon rim is exactly to have a stronger and stiffer rim that can handle a lower spoke count without the strength penalty of a usual low-count spoke alloy rim.

And what is your take on Novatec (or similar hubs) compared to Shimano XT or XTR ?
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of going with carbon rim is exactly to have a stronger and stiffer rim that can handle a lower spoke count without the strength penalty of a usual low-count spoke alloy rim.
    Definitely not the point, kinda not even relevant to a carbon rim. The point is to get a stiff rim with low weight, still using 32 spokes. Its just silly to use less for a mountain bike. You can use 24/28 on aluminum rims all day long, it "works" just fine, but its still a bad idea. A carbon rim doesnt change that.

A 350g carbon rim is a lot like a 450-500g alu rim, thats the real seller.

On road bikes, less spokes is very marginally more aero... on the dirt aero doesnt matter.

novatech makes decent hubs... shimanos roll better (slx is a better hub than XT), are easier to get parts for, and you can get them anywhere. You may have issues getting small parts for novatech.

Huckin' trails
    So are SLX rear hubs better than XT's right now ?

I know you can only pick 2 out of 3, but I'd like to keep the weight down if possible. Rear XTR is out of my budget, but front could be. I'd like to also keep the front wheel as low-weight as possible to minimize unsprung weight and improve handling.

One thing also I have a nice M950 rear hub with Ti axle and freehub. I was wondering if I could use them on the SLX hub and kinda save some weight for cheap.

Might go with a nice light Novatec 24h front and rear 32h Shimano since rear wheel is really gonna get the beating and front will pretty much fly over stuff anyways coz I won't use this bike to bomb down or do seated hucks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Novatec 711/712 are lightweight, reliable and completely rebuildable.

You could also go with the bikehubstore 252 hubs. You can't get anything lighter and cheaper and they don't seem to use the crap Rotaz/Chin Haur/ (some Monkey Hub) engagement system.

Forget 24/28h. Less spokes = more side to side flex (no matter what rim you have). You drastically limit your choice of rim (esp. in 24h drilling) and save bugger all weight.

mtbr member
    I have the BHS 252 hubs, they're very good. id definitely recommend them. They're also 48pt, which is nice. Brandon, the guy who runs the store, is also a great guy to work with, and ships FAST.

Former Bike Wrench
    So are SLX rear hubs better than XT's right now ?
    Depends on what you consider "better"

The new XT hubs use an aluminum axle which makes them lighter but there are many threads complaining about axle, cone, bearing, and freehub body issues. They are warrantied for 2 years but of course you have to wait to get parts. The new axle system is also not available as individual parts so if you need a new cone you have to purchase the entire axle which costs quite a bit. So the only thing "better" is weight.

The SLX level hubs (M629 and M665 centerlock) and the new 2012 M529 Six Bolt hubs use the traditional Shimano cro-mo axles and standard cones and loose bearings. Parts you can find in almost every LBS world wide. The freehub body is also more durable while still being 32pt which is indistinguishable from the 36pt XT. So if durability and reliability is "better" than yes the SLX is better.

FYI-I'd rather use 32h rims with light spokes like these Sapim Laser spokes than low spoke counts.

Huckin' trails
    I've checked a bit this morning and found some DT 350's that could fit my budget. I know people are very happy with the 240's, but is the lower-end 350's a valid option compared to XT's ? If possible, I'd like to have the option to convert to 15mm up front if for some reason I end up buying a 15mm QR fork. The 350's are available in 28h too btw. Oh, and regarding the rims, I specify the spoke drilling when I order.

And yes, reliability and durability is "better" to me. Like I said, I hate having to fiddle with hub issues and that's pretty much the last thing I want to worry about on this bike. That's why sealed cartridge bearings instead of loose balls makes more sense because they are a direct fix, no need to squirt grease all over, play with adjustments and waste time in the shop. However I know that pretty much any loose ball bearings hub will outlast many sealed cartridge design out there, and that is a concern if I have to replace expensive bearings every year. If I only have to replace the cartridges once in a while and it's only a few bucks, than why not ?

Basically I need a good rear hub and light front hub.

Former Bike Wrench
    The 350 front hub is not convertible...you have to buy the axle size you need.

In the same price range of the 350 is the Hope Pro 2 Evo which uses stainless steel bearings, is convertible front and rear to practically every axle size, and comes in 28h

Wiggle | Hope Pro2 Evo MTB Rear Hub Hubs
    Wiggle | Hope Pro2 Evo MTB Front Hub Hubs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My first mtn. bikes had repeated hub issues pawl, bearings, etc. I realized if I was to put a lot of hrs. or ride hard I'd need a hub that could take a little punishment drive trains see quite a bit of stress. Previously I had owned a half dozen Shimano hubs the quite a few generic sealed bearing type. Shimano's freehubs died & the cheap cartridge bearings failed on the generic hubs. A few CK's and DT hubs down the road and I don't worry about my hubs anymore. Price was initially higher but I don't build wheels so multiple builds cut the cost in the long run.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    The 350 front hub is not convertible...you have to buy the axle size you need.

In the same price range of the 350 is the Hope Pro 2 Evo which uses stainless steel bearings, is convertible front and rear to practically every axle size, and comes in 28h

Wiggle | Hope Pro2 Evo MTB Rear Hub Hubs
    Wiggle | Hope Pro2 Evo MTB Front Hub Hubs
    Don't they make axle cap to convert down from 15mm to 9mm QR ?

And the reason why I was interested into those 350's is I work at a shop and can order at cost from their distributor. So that make the 350's fit into my budget, same as the XT's rear, etc.

I won't be buying the rims till next spring, but if I can get a good deals on hubs, rotors, brakes, etc meanwhile I'll take advantage of it. I'm not absolutely in need to order from them, but I have till september-october to set my mind if I decide to order or not.

The MTN252 hubs are pretty nice though. $120 for a decent hub set is interesting.

Former Bike Wrench
    Don't they make axle cap to convert down from 15mm to 9mm QR ?
    Not according to DT Swiss
    http://www.dtswiss.com/getdoc/5604d5...Datasheet.aspx

Huckin' trails
    By pure curiosity, could it be possible to make them ?

Edit : of course it can be done. Just have to do a 15mm axle with 9mm end caps where I can either run a thru-bolt or bolt-on similar to King's Fun Bolts. And then if I ever end up with a 15mm fork, I'll just have to use the provided 15mm skewer.

So your take on DT's 350 ?
    Last edited by David C; 07-12-2012 at 07:59 PM.