mtbr member

Help Me decide a new wheelset

Hi all....

Time to get new wheelset but can decide which one to get:

XT WH M-785 wheelset
    or
    XT M-785 hubset, Mavic XC-717, DT Swiss Revolution spokes.

My concern is lifetime/strength to weight ratio and also user serviceability.

Any opinions will be very appreciated.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    9mm front, 135mm rear? or 20mm/142mm? Budget you are working with? Usage? Alot of helpful people here if you throw down some specifics.

mtbr member
    Yup 9mm front and 135 rear. My choice is only between the two of the wheel above. Mostly singletrack once a week around 20km.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Poacher
    Sep 2010

I am totally biased towards Shimano

Had XT 775 26er and 29er sets. Both worked great and easy EASY tubeless setup w/ floorpump. Now I have XTR 988 and same deal, awesome. The only downfall is that they are not convertable. Proprietary spokes and freehub body fail have never been issues for me. I should really get around to ordering a few spokes to have on hand I guess. Should be able to get for around $300 new. I like the Azonic Outlaw if non UST and heavy, work for you, they are so convertable to every size axle and come w/ all adapters.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Have you ever considered building your own wheels? You could do XT hubs to Flow rims. Those laced up with Sapim Races would be stout and reasonably priced.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I own 2 sets of Stans licensed rims (WTB Frequency i23 and Laser TCS), both came with Stans rim tape and valves and my Shimano UST is far superior rim in my opinion. Tire choices are fewer though.

mtbr member
    WTB rims are not Stans licensed. WTB rims have UST compliant bead hooks, and work best with UST tires.

Stans rims have their proprietary bead socket and hooks, and work best with non-UST tires.

Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I own 2 sets of Stans licensed rims (WTB Frequency i23 and Laser TCS), both came with Stans rim tape and valves and my Shimano UST is far superior rim in my opinion. Tire choices are fewer though.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Yeah, I stand corrected. Was it the Stans Sealant that was used by WTB?

My point is that I think the rim tape/ or rubber rim strip can be a hassle for some. I really do not love it, especially when the rest of my life is too busy. It does have advantage of letting you use almost any tire. My UST rims have very limited choices, but there are no parts. Just a rim with no holes. Pour sealant, mount tire. Every time. No sizing/folded rim tape, etc. I really do like the Stans video on there web site that shows exactly how to instal rim tape (sand rims, clean, dry, stretch rim tape, put tube in for 30 min, take tube out, reinstall tire, seat bead, pull one side, dump in Stans, reseat bead). What a time suck. UST all the way for me when I am busy. But the Stans system is great too.