mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Help: Issues with my new XM Tricon 1550

I have new set of 2012 XM Tricon 1550 wheels. I like them, however I have popped two spokes in about 20 rides. One spoke was on the front wheel going down hill and the other spoke was on the back wheel going up hill. These are all mountain wheels so I am a little surprised I am popping spokes already.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions. Also, they are kind of a hassle, because my LBS needs to ship them to get them fixed. Ugg.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by surfstar1 View Post
    Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions. Also, they are kind of a hassle, because my LBS needs to ship them to get them fixed. Ugg.
    Sell them and get a wheelset built with normal parts. If it's well built, you will not have these problems and even if you do, you or your LBS can fix it quickly and easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by surfstar1 View Post
    I have new set of 2012 XM Tricon 1550 wheels. I like them, however I have popped two spokes in about 20 rides. One spoke was on the front wheel going down hill and the other spoke was on the back wheel going up hill. These are all mountain wheels so I am a little surprised I am popping spokes already.

The only thing I can recall regsrding many of the ZT swiss wheelsets are that they do have a rider wieght limitation. I think for that wheelset it is 220lbs. But if youre under that weight, then i guess it shouldnt matter.

I was going to go with the m1600 set, but chose against it because of the weight limitation.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Same problem with Tricon 1700. Proprietary tool so local LBS can't replace the spoke. Spokes kits are expensive and are different for front/rear wheel.... DT was kind enough to send me a kit (after I promised to DT to stop sending email about the wheels hehehe). Have to drove 100 miles to another lbs having the tools.